Looking for an E-Book Reader Under $300? Any Recommendations?

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know... solving the world's problems?Yes there is but it is infinitely less. If I am to trust this website, http://www.conservatree.com/learn/EnviroIssues/TreeStats.shtml1 ton of virgin paper = 24 trees3000 books = 24 trees (assuming average weight of a book is 12 ounces or 340 grams)6500 books = 52 trees8 GB of information = 52 trees (assuming average data in a book is 1.2 MB)I spent the last 45 seconds trying to think of a way this made even the smallest bit of logical sense, but I couldn't.Well now that you mention it, I
PainterGuy
Hello all, :)

These days almost every book also comes in electronic version. I have not used any ebook reader till now. I need a ebook reader with color display which can support most ebook formats such as PDF, DJVU, Mobipocket etc. I can highlight text, add notes, and this device should be slim and is under the $300. Do you know about any such ebook reader? Tell me please if you have some information. And forgot to tell it's display size should be almost 10 inch.
Cheer

Computer science news on Phys.org
The Kindle DX is the closest you'll find with regard to screen size, but no color. No eBook reader exists that has everything you want.

I agree with the above. Kindle DX is the closest you will find. Any decent Ebook won't have colour. The ones with colour, either have a false e reader screen (Uses LED, what is the point in an ereader than?), or are extremely slow like the recent asian produced one.
In regards to the kindle dx, it seems to have less PDF functionality than the normal 6" screen kindle which has better functionality.

Anyway, for a true book experience, I vote for the kindle, but don't take note of this as I am extremely biased having one ;-).

If you're set on being able to see color, you might consider just getting a gently-used tablet PC, or just an Android tablet like the Xoom. They're a lot more expensive than the Kindle, but much more capable too.

Many, many thanks everyone. I appreciate your suggestions. I hope more will come along the time. Xoom is a good advice but costly (around $700). Perhaps I should wait for another some months and invest more money to buy a good all purpose device such as Xoom.

Cheers

Awesomesauce said:
Anyway, for a true book experience, I vote for the kindle, but don't take note of this as I am extremely biased having one ;-).

For a true book experience, only an actual (not virtual) book will do.

laptop-inspiron-mini-duo-front-hero-504x350-awards.png

http://www.asus.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung just released a Wi-Fi version of the Galaxy Tab for $349. From glancing at the specs, it meets all of your requirements other than the screen size (only 7"). Also, since its Wi-Fi only, you aren't required to go out and purchase a data plan to use all the features.

Actually, it becomes available on 27 April 2011 (two days); however, you can pre-order most anywhere which sells Samsung tablets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U9USEA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
For a true book experience, only an actual (not virtual) book will do.

Yeah but think of the trees you sacrifice.

mishrashubham said:
Yeah but think of the trees you sacrifice.

Are you sure nothing is being sacrificed during e-book reader production?

Borek said:
Are you sure nothing is being sacrificed during e-book reader production?

Yes there is but it is infinitely less. If I am to trust this website, http://www.conservatree.com/learn/EnviroIssues/TreeStats.shtml

1 ton of virgin paper = 24 trees
3000 books = 24 trees (assuming average weight of a book is 12 ounces or 340 grams)
6500 books = 52 trees
8 GB of information = 52 trees (assuming average data in a book is 1.2 MB)

As for the E-book reader I cannot find any reliable statistics about how much silicon is used for producing an integrated circuit, but anyways, there will still be less environmental damage, considering we already are making so many electrical gadgets.

Though I agree that an effective method to deal with e-waste has to be found.

mishrashubham said:
As for the E-book reader I cannot find any reliable statistics about how much silicon is used for producing an integrated circuit, but anyways, there will still be less environmental damage, considering we already are making so many electrical gadgets.

It is not only silicon. Add to that all the chemistry required for plastic case, display, battery, PCB and so on - they all have an environmental price tag on them. Could be in the long run e-book is cheaper/safer, but it is not that apparent at first sight.

mishrashubham said:
... but anyways, there will still be less environmental damage, considering we already are making so many electrical gadgets.

I spent the last 45 seconds trying to think of a way this made even the smallest bit of logical sense, but I couldn't.

fss said:
I spent the last 45 seconds trying to think of a way this made even the smallest bit of logical sense, but I couldn't.

Well now that you mention it, I see that it really does make no sense. Sorry, what I meant was that there is already so much consumption of electronic goods that the production of e-book readers would not significantly worsen the problem of e-waste. Any contribution that they have towards e-waste will be greatly compensated by saving a huge number of trees. Plus if we find a way to make these e-book readers (and also other electronic goods) such that they are later easily recyclable, we will have gone many steps ahead towards a clean environment.

@painter Guy:hi, lots of e-book readers are available even below 100$(best ones too).what do you want? i mean android tablet, ipad, ipad2 or e-book reader.

For pdfs and djvu i would recommend the pocketbook 902 or the 903 its pretty good handling them and the screen size is the same as the kindle dx 9.7"

Have you looked at the Amazon Kindle? My friend has one and it is very very nice, I'm looking at getting one myself.

kindle fire is nice for the price, and a nook color is amazing if you are going to mod it.

1. What is an e-book reader under $300?

An e-book reader under $300 is a portable electronic device that allows users to read digital books, magazines, and other forms of written media. It typically has a screen that mimics the appearance of paper and uses electronic ink technology to display text and images.

2. What features should I look for in an e-book reader under $300?

Some key features to look for in an e-book reader under $300 include a high-resolution screen, long battery life, a variety of file format compatibility, and a user-friendly interface. It's also important to consider the size and weight of the device for easy portability.

3. Can I access the internet on an e-book reader under $300?

Most e-book readers under $300 do not have internet capabilities, as their main function is to display digital books. However, some models may have limited internet access for downloading books or accessing certain websites.

4. Are e-book readers under $300 suitable for all types of reading materials?

E-book readers under $300 are primarily designed for reading digital books, but many also have the capability to display magazines, newspapers, and PDF documents. However, they may not be suitable for highly visual or interactive content, such as graphic novels or textbooks.

5. How do I transfer e-books onto an e-book reader under $300?

E-book readers under $300 typically have built-in storage or the option to insert a memory card. You can transfer e-books onto the device by connecting it to a computer with a USB cable and using software provided by the manufacturer or by downloading e-books directly onto the device if it has internet capabilities.