Question about Quantum dot (picture)

In summary, this picture of a quantum dot shows two QDs next to each other and is used to create a controlled electron gas. It is a scanning electron microscope picture of a what looks like a double quantum dot. The significance of the picture is unknown, but it may prove something important.
McCloud
Hi all! Can anyone tell me What this picture of a quantum dot means?? The signifigance of what this exact picture stands for. What does it prove??

Attachments

• IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a scanning electron microscope (SEM) picture of a what looks like a double quantum dot (two QDs next to each other).

The pale lines (labelled V1, V2 etc) are gate lines used to apply the voltage potential that defines the dots in the centre. The gate lines are metallic and are fabricated on top of a III-V semiconductor (such as GaAs) that has been made in such a way that there is a quasi-2D electron gas (known as a 2DEG) some distance under the surface, by applyting the gate voltage the electrons are confined in the XY plane which in turn creates a dot (or in this case 2.

f95toli said:
It is a scanning electron microscope (SEM) picture of a what looks like a double quantum dot (two QDs next to each other).

The pale lines (labelled V1, V2 etc) are gate lines used to apply the voltage potential that defines the dots in the centre. The gate lines are metallic and are fabricated on top of a III-V semiconductor (such as GaAs) that has been made in such a way that there is a quasi-2D electron gas (known as a 2DEG) some distance under the surface, by applyting the gate voltage the electrons are confined in the XY plane which in turn creates a dot (or in this case 2.

Wow!

I thought I knew a little about physics, but this totally passed over my head! :smile:

I am interested though in some basic understanding...

What does it do?
What's the point of using GaAs or whatever?
What's a III-V semiconductor?
How does it generate an electron gas?
What is a quasi-2D electron gas anyway?
Why would the electrons be confined to the XY plane?
How is it that a dot is created because of this?

And before you refer me to the wikipedia article, I've already read it.
I did learn something from it, but there's a lot there too that I don't quite understand.

I like Serena said:
What does it do?

They are used in various applications (detectors etc). It is basically as close to a 1D quantum well you can get. I think I read somewhere that Samsung is even working on flatscreen TVs based on QDs.

What's the point of using GaAs or whatever?
GaAs is the second most common semiconducting material (the most common being silicon). It is a very controllable material and can -when combined with various amount of aluminium- be used to make controlled potentiall wells. Most laser diods etc are made from GaAs and so are virtually all high-frequency transistors (e.g. HEMTs used in mobile phones etc).

What's a III-V semiconductor?

A semiconducting material made form one element from group III and one from group V in the periodic table. GaAs, GaN, InAs,InP etc

How does it generate an electron gas?
What is a quasi-2D electron gas anyway?
Why would the electrons be confined to the XY plane?

The gas forms at an interface where there are no free states that the elctrons can move into above or below. Moreoever, done right the mean free path of the electrons is so large in XY plane that they essentially behave as a 2D gas, simply because the layer where they can move is so thin that they can't really move in the Z direction,

How is it that a dot is created because of this?

The gates are used to create an electrostatic potential for the electrons (by applying a negative voltage of the order of a couple of volts); the idea is quite litterally to create an electrostatic well that the electrons can't escape from.

Thank you so much for the response. brilliant explanation

1. What are quantum dots?

Quantum dots are tiny semiconductor particles that are only a few nanometers in diameter. They can emit light in a variety of colors and are often used in displays, solar cells, and medical imaging technologies.

2. How are quantum dots different from traditional materials?

Quantum dots exhibit unique optical and electronic properties due to their small size and quantum confinement effects. They can emit light at specific wavelengths, have high photostability, and can be tuned to emit different colors by varying their size.

3. How are quantum dots made?

Quantum dots are typically made through a process called colloidal synthesis, in which precursor materials are heated in a solvent until they form tiny crystals. These crystals can then be coated with a protective shell to prevent them from clumping together.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum dots?

Quantum dots have a wide range of potential applications, including in displays, solar cells, medical imaging, and quantum computing. They are also being researched for use in targeted drug delivery and environmental sensing.

5. Are quantum dots safe for human use?

While quantum dots have shown great promise in various applications, there are concerns about their potential toxicity. Research is ongoing to better understand their effects on human health and the environment, and steps are being taken to ensure their safe use in consumer products.