Manipulating Fringe Distance: Decreasing with Laser Wavelengths & Slit Distance

• Thread starter fa08ti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, by using the equation delta x= (L)(lambda)/d and manipulating the variables, it can be determined that decreasing the wavelength and increasing the distance between the slits will decrease the distance between fringes. It is also possible that changing the distance from the laser to the screen (represented by L in the equation) may have an effect on fringe distance.
fa08ti
I want to know what kind of manipulations can be done to decrease the distance between fringes. the activity is done with a laser.

I am basing my conclusions on this equation

delta x= (L)(lambda)/d

here's what i am thinking,

decreasing the wavelengths will decrease the distance between the fringes.
increasing the distance between the slits will also decrease the distance between the fringes.

is there anything else that would decrease the distance between the fringes?

Physics news on Phys.org
fa08ti said:
I want to know what kind of manipulations can be done to decrease the distance between fringes. the activity is done with a laser.

I am basing my conclusions on this equation

delta x= (L)(lambda)/d

here's what i am thinking,

decreasing the wavelengths will decrease the distance between the fringes.
increasing the distance between the slits will also decrease the distance between the fringes.

is there anything else that would decrease the distance between the fringes?

If you are measuring the distance between the fringes in angular separation, that is probably it, but if you are casting the fringe pattern onto a screen ... the L in you formula perhaps ?

1. Who was Thomas Young?

Thomas Young was a British polymath who made significant contributions to the fields of physics, optics, medicine, and linguistics in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

2. What is the "Thomas Young question"?

The "Thomas Young question" refers to a thought experiment proposed by Young in his lectures on natural philosophy in 1807. It asks whether light can behave as both a wave and a particle at the same time, a concept known as wave-particle duality.

3. What is Young's double-slit experiment?

Young's double-slit experiment was a key experiment that demonstrated the wave-like nature of light. It involved passing light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen, indicating that light behaves as a wave and can interfere with itself.

4. How did Young's work contribute to the understanding of light?

Young's work on the wave-like nature of light laid the foundation for the field of wave optics and helped to shift the understanding of light from a purely particle-based theory to a wave-based theory. His experiments and theories also paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics.

5. What is the significance of the "Thomas Young question" today?

The "Thomas Young question" continues to be a central question in the field of quantum mechanics and has implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of light and matter. It has also led to further scientific discoveries and advancements in technology, such as the development of the laser.