Leeson Reversible Electric Motor - 1/3 HP, 1725 RPM

In summary, the electric motor can be reversed by connecting the power leads on the switch in the opposite direction. The wiring diagram for this motor is provided.
yvesj
hi .i am new here
i like to know if this motor can't reversed using a switch from turning right to left .
i am a knifes maker [was] and my motor have to turn clock wise and counter clock .
thank you .
yvesj

Engineering news on Phys.org
More info please. Single phase? Capacitor start or split-phase? Do you have it in your possession or are you considering purchase? Do you have a diagram?

115/208-230 volts 6.4/3.2 amps 60hz
TEFC - Totally Enclosed Fan cooled - Electrically Reversible
Manual Overload Protection - Service Factor 1.15
NEMA 56 Frame - Flat Rigid base mount - 5/8" Diameter shaft x 1 7/8"
Class F Insulated - Ball Bearings w/low temp grease

Electric all purpose motor has 1/3 HP, 1725 RPM and rigid base. Also has capacitor start, 5/8in. shaft size and NEMA frame #56 for long lasting durability. 115/208-230 Volts. U.S.A.

thank you .
i was a knifes maker from 1993 to 2007
all i know is i did buy the same motor but a 1/2 .
the place that i got the motor did set up all wiring for me to connect it to my switch .
but because of my age and i had to move from my place i had to sell all my knifes making tools .
but i still have a few of my knifes to do the handle on them .
i need to reverse when i put the cutting on them .
i use a 6 inch stick on sand papper .
i use 6 because i have to up to 1200 gritt .you only get 1200 with the 6 inch sand papper .body shop supply

the motor i had the switch was a on-off-on .
now i do have some here .
no i did not buy the motor yet .
150.00 from amazon.com .192.00 at my door .not bad at all .
this is the best set up to but back a hedge on your knife if you know how to use wheel [6 ]800 grits]but after doing at least 1000 knifes you know how to use it .
i live in ontario Canada .

yvesj said:
115/208-230 volts 6.4/3.2 amps 60hz
TEFC - Totally Enclosed Fan cooled - Electrically Reversible
Manual Overload Protection - Service Factor 1.15
NEMA 56 Frame - Flat Rigid base mount - 5/8" Diameter shaft x 1 7/8"
Class F Insulated - Ball Bearings w/low temp grease

My bold and italicized. I guess I don't understand what the question is. It says it is reversible, so are you simply wondering how to install a switch or convenient method of reversing?

thank you .
yes i am looking at a good wiring diagram .i did find a fews of them on google .
like i said i do have a few brand new switch .on-off-on .
if i can't not do it i guess i will have get the motor to a electric motor shop or get a good electrician .
right now i was working on my new grainder .
now i have 2= 6 solid wheel .one on the right and one on the left .the wheel are made of aluminum then i use 6 stick on sand paper .this is really fast at changing the sand paper .
if you have a good wiring diagram for me i take a look at it and see if i understand it .
sorry .my spelling is bad .

Averagesupernova said:
My bold and italicized. I guess I don't understand what the question is. It says it is reversible, so are you simply wondering how to install a switch or convenient method of reversing?
is this the way to fix the wires on the switch

Attachments

• Solder-Motor-Wires-To-DPDT-Switch.jpg
    Solder-Motor-Wires-To-DPDT-Switch.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 559
Averagesupernova said:

this is what i like to do .but 6 inch and reversable

Attachments

• g7297.jpg
    g7297.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 454
You need to look at the wiring diagram for the motor and isolate the differences between CW and CCW. From there it should be reasonably easy to come up with switch wiring. IF the motor wiring is how I think it is then the back side of the switch you show in your attachment is probably right IF the terminals on the switch are how I think they are. It is not a matter of simply reversing the power leads. It involves changing the start winding leads relative to the run winding leads.

Amazon gave its number as Leeson 102931, if i found the same one

here's link for the Leeson connection diagram for that motor,
http://www.leeson.com/CnxDocRequest/PublishedPDF/00500544_145869_365.pdf
looks pretty standard

and its datasheet

http://www.leeson.com/leeson/searchproduct.do;jsessionid=3C3D4FB1A3E69185BB5A4F96FB579E5A?invoke=viewProductDetails&motorNo=102931.00&productType=0

does that look like right motor?

reversing wires T5 and T8 will reverse the motor,
but it is not clear to me from that drawing exactly what terminals you will need. Maybe ring lugs, maybe push-on blades...

is this any help?

lastly - might a washing machine motor do as well? One can get them free at most trashpiles.

Last edited:
thank .but i can't not open any of the 2 link you gave me .

has for a washing machine motor .
no .i need a motor with a fan at back because i am grainding steel .stainless steel .etc.etc .no wood what so ever .
only steel

they both open for me this morning

i got to them by going to
http://www.leeson.com/
and entering that motor number in their quick search by number bar.

jim hardy said:
they both open for me this morning

i got to them by going to
http://www.leeson.com/
and entering that motor number in their quick search by number bar.
thank .that one did open .
here is a few knifes pictures that i have left here .
all my blades knifes are mirror polishe .and i do all my knifes cases .
a knife cust me about 55.00 material and i sell them 125.00 .
so there is not much money here .it take 5 hrs from the start to finish .complite ready to go

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 613

1. What is the horsepower of the Leeson Reversible Electric Motor?

The Leeson Reversible Electric Motor has a horsepower of 1/3 HP, which is a measure of the motor's output power.

2. What is the speed of the Leeson Reversible Electric Motor?

The Leeson Reversible Electric Motor has a speed of 1725 RPM, which stands for revolutions per minute and measures how many times the motor shaft rotates in one minute.

3. Is the Leeson Reversible Electric Motor capable of reversing direction?

Yes, the Leeson Reversible Electric Motor is designed to be able to change direction of rotation, making it suitable for various applications.

4. What is the voltage requirement for the Leeson Reversible Electric Motor?

The Leeson Reversible Electric Motor operates on a voltage of 115/230 volts, making it compatible with most standard power outlets.

5. What type of motor is the Leeson Reversible Electric Motor?

The Leeson Reversible Electric Motor is a single-phase motor, which means it operates on a single alternating current (AC) supply. It is commonly used in residential and small industrial applications.