How Can I get started on drawing this free body

In summary, the problem involves solving equations with multiple unknowns and using the equations ƩFx = 0 and ƩFy = W. The given solution is .885W and .201W for two forces, but the goal is to gain a full understanding of the problem. A suggested free-body diagram is not accurate and it is recommended to draw multiple free-body diagrams for each cylinder and all three together. Another suggested method is to solve using a force triangle and trigonometry.
Ryantruran

Homework Statement

([url]http://i.imgur.com/5OWEi.jpg[/url])
I have way to many unknowns to start the process of solving equations.

Homework Equations

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = W

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given the answer of one force being .885W and the other is .201W. The problem is a recommended problem not for a grade but I would like to get a full understanding of these problems

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Ryantruran! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: the cylinders are smooth, so the forces will all be normal, so they will lie along the lines joining the centres. :wink:

does this look like an ok freebody diagram http://imgur.com/ntgFv

Hi Ryantruran! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

Nooo … that's not a free-body diagram at all. :redface:

A free-body diagram should show all the external forces on a body (or bodies).

Yours does not show the external forces from the "walls", nor does it show the weights (acting through each centre of mass).

Also, this is probably one of those questions where you need to draw more than one free-body diagram (you could for example draw one for each cylinder, and one for all three together).

See the PF Library on "free body diagram" for more details.

(btw , your diagram is wrong anyway, the bottom cylinders should touch each other, and you've omitted the right-hand "wall")

You can solve it with a fbd for C alone. As there are three forces acting on C, it is possible to draw a force triangle to scale and calculate the values using trig.

1. How do I know which free body to draw?

The first step is to identify the object or system you want to analyze. This could be a single object or a group of connected objects. Once you have identified the object, you can draw a free body diagram to represent all the external forces acting on it.

2. Do I need to include all the forces?

Yes, it is important to include all the external forces acting on the object in order to accurately analyze its motion. This includes forces such as gravity, normal force, friction, and any applied forces.

3. How do I determine the direction and magnitude of the forces?

You can determine the direction and magnitude of the forces by considering the physical situation and using known principles, such as Newton's laws of motion. If necessary, you can also use measurements or calculations to determine the values of the forces.

4. What should I include in my free body diagram?

Your free body diagram should include a simple, labeled sketch of the object and all the external forces acting on it. The forces should be represented by arrows pointing in the correct direction and labeled with their corresponding values.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to include all the forces, drawing the forces with incorrect directions, and not labeling the forces with their corresponding values. It is also important to make sure your diagram is neat and organized so that it is easy to interpret and analyze.