Distribution of power congruence classes

In summary, the conversation is about proving the correctness of the statement regarding "Distribution of power congruence classes". The statement involves the use of notation such as N_i, Q_s(n), and Q'_s(n) and relates to modular arithmetic. The question is to show that for all positive integers n and s, Qs(n) is congruent to n modulo 10s-1 and Qs'(n) is congruent to n modulo 10s+1.
dec178
Hi, I need help to prove this for my professor
this is called "Distribution of power congruence classes" or something like that

With all n∈NiS∈N correct
1) n ≡Qs(n)(mod 10s-1)
2) n ≡Qs(n)(mod 10s+1)

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8341/withall.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question isn't clear.

You must explain your notation. What is [itex] N_i [/itex]? What is [itex] Q_s(n) [/itex]? What is [itex] Q'_s(n) [/itex] ?

Instead of "correct", perhaps you mean "it is true that".

Yes, I need to proove, that this is correct.
To separate [itex] Q_s(n) [/itex] and [itex] Q'_s(n) [/itex], I used apostrophe '
I don't know, professor just gave this for us in a middle of Modular arithmetic class

Last edited:
Can we perhaps decipher the question as follows:

Let n and s be positive integers, let Qs(n) be the sum of the numbers formed by the digits of n in groups of s, starting from the right, and let Qs'(n) be the alternating such sum.

Show that Qs(n)[itex]\equiv[/itex]n (mod 10s-1) and Qs'(n)[itex]\equiv[/itex]n (mod 10s+1)

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your professor's request. I am happy to assist you in proving the concept of "Distribution of power congruence classes."

Firstly, let us define what "power congruence classes" mean. In number theory, congruence is a relation between two integers where they have the same remainder when divided by a given number. For example, 15 ≡ 3 (mod 6) means that both 15 and 3 have a remainder of 3 when divided by 6.

Now, let us consider the power of a number. The power of a number is the number of times it is multiplied by itself. For instance, 3^2 = 9, where 3 is multiplied by itself 2 times.

Combining these two concepts, we can define power congruence classes as a set of numbers that have the same remainder when raised to a certain power and divided by a given number.

In your statement, you have provided two equations:
1) n ≡Qs(n)(mod 10s-1)
2) n ≡Qs(n)(mod 10s+1)

From these equations, we can deduce that the power (Qs(n)) of n is being taken modulo (mod) 10s-1 and 10s+1. This means that the remainder of n when raised to the power Qs(n) and divided by 10s-1 and 10s+1 will be the same.

To prove this, let us take an example.
Let n = 3, Qs(n) = 2, and s = 2.
Then, 3^2 ≡ 3 (mod 10^2-1) and 3^2 ≡ 3 (mod 10^2+1).
This means that both equations hold true, and the remainder of 3^2 when divided by 10^2-1 and 10^2+1 is 3.

We can also generalize this for any n, Qs(n), and s. This is because the congruence relation is transitive, i.e., if a ≡ b (mod m) and b ≡ c (mod m), then a ≡ c (mod m).

In conclusion, the "Distribution of power congruence classes" is a valid concept, and it holds

What is the significance of studying the distribution of power congruence classes?

The distribution of power congruence classes is an important aspect of social network analysis. It helps us understand how power is distributed within a network and how it affects the relationships and dynamics within that network.

How is power congruence measured and classified?

Power congruence is measured by looking at the level of agreement or similarity between a node's incoming and outgoing ties. This can be classified into three categories: balanced, unbalanced, and isolated. Balanced power congruence means that a node has similar levels of incoming and outgoing ties, unbalanced means that one type of tie is more dominant, and isolated means that a node has no ties in one direction.

What factors can influence the distribution of power congruence classes?

Several factors can influence the distribution of power congruence classes, including the structure of the network, the type of relationships between nodes, and the individual characteristics of the nodes themselves. For example, in a hierarchical organization, power may be more likely to be distributed in a balanced or unbalanced way compared to a more egalitarian network.

How does power congruence impact the functioning of a network?

The distribution of power congruence classes can have a significant impact on the functioning of a network. In a network with balanced power congruence, there is likely to be more collaboration and cooperation between nodes. In networks with unbalanced or isolated power congruence, there may be more conflict and competition between nodes.

Are there any limitations to studying the distribution of power congruence classes?

Like any social network analysis, studying the distribution of power congruence classes has some limitations. It relies on data from self-reported relationships, which may not always accurately reflect the true power dynamics within a network. Additionally, power is a complex and multi-dimensional concept, and power congruence may not capture all aspects of power within a network.