Lagrangian of a free particle

In summary: Rotational symmetry means that the direction of the particle's velocity has no bearing on its energy. Translational symmetry means that the location has no bearing on the energy. And positional symmetry means that the energy is the same in every position.
Favicon
I've heard it said that the Lagrangian of a free particle cannot possibly be a function of any position coordinate, or individual velocity component, but it is a function of the total magnitude of velocity. Why is this the case? I'd be grateful for any pointers in the direction of either a physical or a mathematical explanation

EDIT: I should make it clearer that this is assuming no prior knowledge of kinetic energy or Newton's laws

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Lagrangian can be expressed about any coordinate that can be written in the form:
\begin{equation}
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{∂L}{∂\dot{q}_i}\right)-\frac{∂L}{∂q_i}=Q_i
\end{equation}
Where [itex] L [/itex] is the Lagrangian (kinetic energy - potential energy)

Actually, after a few minutes pondering, I'd like to attempt an answer myself, based on symmetry.

The Lagrangian cannot depend on individual velocity components (but it can depend on the overall magnitude of the velocity) because of rotational symmetry - with no external forces acting on the particle, how could the direction of it's velocity have any impact on the physics of the situation?

As for the positional coordinates, I presume these can't affect the Lagrangian because of translational symmetry. (Again, with no external forces acting on the particle, the location has no bearing on its energy, which after all is what the Lagrangian describes)

Have I got the right idea here, or am I making false assumptions?

Of course, the energies are usually much easier to express in certain coordinate systems.

FeX32 said:
The Lagrangian can be expressed about any coordinate that can be written in the form:
\begin{equation}
\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{∂L}{∂\dot{q}_i}\right)-\frac{∂L}{∂q_i}=Q_i
\end{equation}
Where [itex] L [/itex] is the Lagrangian (kinetic energy - potential energy)

I may be being blindingly stupid here, but I don't see how that answers my original question. What is it about the position and velocity components of a free particle which means they cannot fit that equation?

the location has no bearing on its energy

There you have it

Favicon said:
I may be being blindingly stupid here, but I don't see how that answers my original question. What is it about the position and velocity components of a free particle which means they cannot fit that equation?

They can fit the equation. Just find any coordinate "q" that you can write the energies in.

Excellent, thank you Fex. It seems that just after asking for help is when I usually solve a problem myself..

To answer you question directly. There is an infinite amount of coordinate systems that you can express the Lagrangian in. The thing is, usually one or two of them are the simplest, mathematically.

No problem. Yes, it seems you understand it essentially.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a free particle?

The Lagrangian of a free particle is a mathematical function that represents the energy of a particle in a system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the particle and is used in the Lagrangian formalism to describe the motion of the particle.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a free particle calculated?

The Lagrangian of a free particle is calculated by subtracting the potential energy from the kinetic energy. This can be expressed as L = T - V, where L is the Lagrangian, T is the kinetic energy, and V is the potential energy.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is significant in physics because it provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe the motion of particles compared to Newton's laws of motion. It also allows for a more general and unified approach to solving problems in classical mechanics.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to describe the motion of a particle in any system?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to describe the motion of a particle in any system, as long as the system is conservative (i.e. no external forces are acting on the particle).

5. How does the Lagrangian formalism differ from the Newtonian approach?

The Lagrangian formalism differs from the Newtonian approach in that it uses generalized coordinates and velocities to describe the motion of a particle, whereas Newton's laws use Cartesian coordinates and forces. This results in a more elegant and unified description of the particle's motion.