Unlocking the Mystery of the Universe's Fate

• Thread starter azizlwl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the universe will eventually reach a state of equilibrium in which all change will cease.
azizlwl
Today i watched Discovery about the fate of the universe.
One of the presenters said that finally all the energies used up and the universe will be in deep freeze.

My question is where all the energies go?
What about conservation of energies?

Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi azizlwl! :smile:
azizlwl said:

i think the energy stays the same, but the energy density tends to zero :confused:

azizlwl said:
One of the presenters said that finally all the energies used up and the universe will be in deep freeze.

Thank you.

Over time the stars will run out of fuel and cease to shine and all thermal energy will be radiated away from all objects. Without a source of energy the entire universe will gradually approach absolute zero. The expansion of the universe ensures that any energy radiated away will be redshifted into longer wavelength light, lowering it's energy. Energy conservation does not apply in it's normal form when dealing with the expansion of the universe. The subject is actually kind of complicated and I have no chance of trying to explain the details.

Drakkith said:
Over time the stars will run out of fuel and cease to shine and all thermal energy will be radiated away from all objects. Without a source of energy the entire universe will gradually approach absolute zero. The expansion of the universe ensures that any energy radiated away will be redshifted into longer wavelength light, lowering it's energy. Energy conservation does not apply in it's normal form when dealing with the expansion of the universe. The subject is actually kind of complicated and I have no chance of trying to explain the details.

It doesn't mean that universe will freeze , universe will have less energy.Universe will not freeze at once it will start from the end where there is less supply of energy.

DhruvKumar said:
It doesn't mean that universe will freeze , universe will have less energy.Universe will not freeze at once it will start from the end where there is less supply of energy.

The cooling process will occur equally everywhere in the universe when you look at the largest scales. At the smaller scales individual sections and objects will vary, but over time these variations will die off as the final stars begin to run out of fuel, white dwarfs cool off, etc.

Drakkith said:
The cooling process will occur equally everywhere in the universe when you look at the largest scales. At the smaller scales individual sections and objects will vary, but over time these variations will die off as the final stars begin to run out of fuel, white dwarfs cool off, etc.

All stars will not runoff fuel at once. will it?

DhruvKumar said:
All stars will not runoff fuel at once. will it?

Nope. Stars are being created and die off all the time, with the exact lifetime of each star depending mostly on it's initial mass. High mass stars will live for a much shorter time than low mass stars. Low mass red dwarfs will still be hot and shining for many many billions of years.

azizlwl said:

Thank you.

Energy remains the same. What declines are the temperature differences. Eventually a bland equilibrium will be reached, meaning the end of all change.

Drakkith said:
Nope. Stars are being created and die off all the time, with the exact lifetime of each star depending mostly on it's initial mass. High mass stars will live for a much shorter time than low mass stars. Low mass red dwarfs will still be hot and shining for many many billions of years.

ya thatz what i was thinking of.

Drakkith said:

Today I am very happy because i have created my own telescope from 100 cm focal length convex lense.

Drakkith said:

Today I am very happy because i have created my own telescope from 100 cm focal length convex lense.

What is the universe's fate?

The fate of the universe is a subject of much scientific debate and research. Currently, the most widely accepted theory is that the universe will continue to expand forever, ultimately resulting in a state of heat death where all matter and energy in the universe is evenly distributed and no more work can be done.

What evidence supports the idea of an expanding universe?

One key piece of evidence for the expansion of the universe is the observation of redshift in the light emitted from distant galaxies. This is a result of the expansion of space stretching out the wavelengths of light as it travels, causing a shift towards the red end of the spectrum. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, leftover from the Big Bang, is also evidence of an expanding universe.

Will the universe eventually stop expanding?

Based on current theories and observations, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. However, this does not mean that the expansion will continue at the same rate forever. It is possible that the expansion could slow down or even accelerate in the future due to unknown forces such as dark energy.

Could the universe collapse in on itself?

While it is possible that the universe could collapse in on itself, this scenario is not currently supported by scientific evidence. The expansion of the universe is believed to be driven by dark energy, which is causing the expansion to accelerate. This means that the universe is not likely to collapse in the foreseeable future.

What role do black holes play in the fate of the universe?

Black holes, while incredibly powerful and mysterious, are not believed to have a significant impact on the overall fate of the universe. They are relatively small in comparison to the vastness of the universe and their influence is limited to their immediate surroundings. However, they do play an important role in the evolution and structure of galaxies.