Coplanar Vectors: A, B, & A+B

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, two free vectors are always coplanar. Then if A and B are free vectors, are A, B, and A+B all coplanar in all cases? Yes, any two vectors that start from the same point (in this case, the origin) determine a plane, and any linear combination of these vectors (such as A+B) will also lie in that same plane. Additionally, if two vectors are linearly dependent, they are always collinear and therefore coplanar. For three vectors, they could be collinear or form a plane, but they will always be coplanar. There is no special terminology for a three-dimensional object beyond coplanar. Therefore, it is correct to say that if n
1MileCrash
Two free vectors are always coplanar.

Then if A and B are free vectors, are A, B, and A+B all coplanar in all cases?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
Two free vectors are always coplanar.

Then if A and B are free vectors, are A, B, and A+B all coplanar in all cases?
Yes.
Any two vectors that start from the same point (you can assume that they start from the origin) determine a plane. Any linear combination of these vectors (including 1*A + 1*B) also lies in that same plane.

Cool.

How about this:

If two vectors are linearly dependent, they are collinear. They are always coplanar.

If three vectors are linearly dependent, they are coplanar. Three vectors are always all co"cubeular" (I don't know a word like coplanar for a three dimensional object.)

Based on this pattern, it correct to say that:

If n vectors are linearly dependent, then they are co(n-1 space object) and are always co(n space object).

Since for two vectors, an n-1 space object is a line, for three it is a plane, and so on.

Am I making sense?

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
Cool.

How about this:

If two vectors are linearly dependent, they are collinear. They are always coplanar.
Yes. If two vectors are linearly dependent, then each is a nonzero scalar multiple of the other.
1MileCrash said:
If three vectors are linearly dependent, they are coplanar.
They could be collinear, depending on which vectors we're talking about.
1MileCrash said:
Three vectors are always all co"cubeular" (I don't know a word like coplanar for a three dimensional object.)
I don't believe there is any special terminalogy beyond coplanar.
1MileCrash said:
Based on this pattern, it correct to say that:

If n vectors are linearly dependent, then they are co(n-1 space object) and are always co(n space object).

Since for two vectors, an n-1 space object is a line, for three it is a plane, and so on.

Am I making sense?
Yes, I get what you're saying, but as I said, I don't believe there is any terminology beyond coplanar.

Yes, A, B, and A+B will always be coplanar in all cases. This is because coplanar vectors are defined as vectors that lie in the same plane, and since A and B are free vectors, they can be translated and rotated without changing their magnitude or direction. Therefore, when A and B are added, the resulting vector A+B will still lie in the same plane as A and B, making all three vectors coplanar. This is a fundamental property of vector addition and applies to all cases.

1. What are coplanar vectors A, B, and A+B?

Coplanar vectors are vectors that lie in the same plane. A and B are individual vectors, while A+B is the resultant vector obtained by adding A and B together.

2. How do you find the magnitude of A, B, and A+B?

The magnitude of a vector is its length, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. For A, B, and A+B, the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. What is the difference between A, B, and A+B?

A and B are individual vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. A+B is the resultant vector, which represents the combination of A and B. It has a magnitude and direction determined by the components of A and B.

4. How do you calculate the direction of A, B, and A+B?

The direction of a vector is given by the angle it makes with a reference axis. To find the direction of A, B, and A+B, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the angle formed by the vector and the reference axis.

5. Can A, B, and A+B be non-coplanar?

No, coplanarity is a property of vectors that lie in the same plane. Therefore, A, B, and A+B must be coplanar. If they are not, they cannot be added together to form a resultant vector.