Why does the physical state of a substance primarily depend on its temperature?

In summary: Chemists and physicists also differ in their interpretation of the word 'state of matter', recognising many more than do physicists.
jaydnul
Let me know if i am correct here. Temperature is just the amount of energy associated with that particle or molecule? So why does that determine if it is solid, liquid, or gas? Why doesn't water turn into ice at room temperature when you compress it into itself enough? Like in star wars when they are trapped in the garbage shoot and the walls are caving in (haha), but coming from every direction and squeezing a sample of water, or anything, into itself. Wouldnt the h2o particles eventually become close enough to each other to become a solid?

Science news on Phys.org
lundyjb said:
Why doesn't water turn into ice at room temperature when you compress it into itself enough?
It does. But you need a really high pressure for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can compress liquid water into a solid, but just because solid water is LESS dense than liquid water. If water was "normal", you would be able to do it.

Lsos said:
but just because solid water is LESS dense than liquid water.
That is true at atmospheric pressure, but not for higher pressures. See the phase diagram at Wikipedia, for example.

Most solids are crystalline, with very ordered structure that represents a lowest energy configuration. It doesn't change shape because of that.
I don't think that if you could compress a liquid enough it would ever form a crystalline solid. You'd just have a very, very dense liquid that still flows.
The question is how do you define 'solid'?

Other solids are glasses, which are very viscous, slow flowing liquids. You might make something like that - but can you call it a solid?

You can compress water into a solid. It happens just over 1 GPa at room temperature. I believe the crystalline form is tetragonal rather than the hexagonal that we are used to.

AJ Bentley said:
Other solids are glasses, which are very viscous, slow flowing liquids. You might make something like that - but can you call it a solid?
Glasses are solid materials. They are not liquids, which is a common misconception.
If you want long enough, every solid material with finite temperature will have some re-ordering of the atoms. But the typical timescale is so long that this is not relevant.

I don't think that if you could compress a liquid enough it would ever form a crystalline solid.
Well, it does (at least in general). You press the atoms into some dense structure.

mfb said:
Glasses are solid materials. They are not liquids, which is a common misconception

The common misconception is the 'proof' of glazing glass flow by observation of blown glass windows, not the fact that many glass-like materials exhibit flow, particularly thermoplastics, various resins and rubbers.
The question is as to exactly when very slow movement becomes no movement.

Surely a solid has a(n attempt at) a regular crystal structure or arrangement of molecules.

Fluids and glasses do not, as do other amorphous states of matter.

Chemists and physicists also differ in their interpretation of the word 'state of matter', recognising many more than do physicists.

I think we've answered the OP's question. Other things besides temperature matter. Pressure. Temperature history (glass vs. quartz). Pressure history (graphite vs. diamond)

1. Why does the physical state of a substance change with temperature?

The physical state of a substance depends on the amount of energy in its molecules. As temperature increases, the molecules have more energy and move more quickly, causing them to break away from their fixed positions and change the substance's state from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas.

2. How does temperature affect the physical properties of a substance?

Temperature directly affects the physical properties of a substance, such as its melting point, boiling point, and density. As temperature increases, the molecules in the substance have more kinetic energy, causing them to move more rapidly and take up more space, resulting in changes to the substance's physical properties.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the physical state of a substance?

The physical state of a substance is determined by the amount of energy in its molecules, which is directly related to its temperature. As temperature increases, the substance's molecules gain more energy and are able to overcome intermolecular forces, resulting in a change in physical state.

4. Why does water freeze at 0 degrees Celsius and boil at 100 degrees Celsius?

The freezing and boiling points of water are determined by its molecular structure and the strength of intermolecular forces. At 0 degrees Celsius, the molecules in water have enough energy to break away from the solid structure and become a liquid. At 100 degrees Celsius, the molecules have enough energy to overcome the intermolecular forces and escape into the gas phase.

5. How does temperature affect the phase transition of a substance?

Temperature plays a crucial role in phase transitions, such as melting, boiling, and condensation. As temperature increases, the molecules in a substance have more kinetic energy, allowing them to break away from their fixed positions and transition to a different phase. Similarly, as temperature decreases, the molecules lose energy and are forced to form stronger intermolecular bonds, resulting in a phase change.