BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics

• Thread starter mjada76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, I'm looking for an online Bachelor degree that will allow me to do a Masters in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or any other physics related subject...now I do understand that the logical thing to do is a bachelor in physics however you can't study that online(nothing that I could find anyway)and attending college at a regular campus is not an option in my case..I'm 36 yo and have a professional career and a family to support but I have a passion for natural sciences specially physics and astronomy.
mjada76
I'm looking for an online Bachelor degree that will allow me to do a Masters in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or any other physics related subject...now I do understand that the logical thing to do is a bachelor in physics however you can't study that online(nothing that I could find anyway)and attending college at a regular campus is not an option in my case..I'm 36 yo and have a professional career and a family to support but I have a passion for natural sciences specially physics and astronomy. I came across the BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics from Thomas Edison State College
http://www.tesc.edu/heavin/ba/Natural-Sciences-Mathematics.cfm
Does this look like a feasible option, or is it just a waste of time?
suggestions... ideas...comments?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know whether or not that is a feasible option. However, what are you planning to do? Is your plan to leave your current job ad do something like teach at a community college or get some other science-related job? Or is it your goal to just learn stuff? In the first case, I don't really have any advice. In the second case, I would suggest just forgetting about going to school and paying the tuition and try to do a self-learning thing. You can buy the books read them, do the exercises, etc.

My intention is to change careers...ultimately I'd like to see myself as a professor at a university or working in the field of physics and/or space in a 10 years time or so.
I was also looking at a graduate degree from UND in space studies
http://distance.und.edu/degree/?id=mechengbs
Not sure what type of bachelors do I need for that or if it's even a good career move..the program seems reputable enough but still not sure how to get there!

It might be a waste of time, unfortunately, but it's really hard to say. Grad programs in astronomy and astrophysics usually expect a strong background in physics, and that's difficult to do without university lab courses. Even though you might choose physics as your sort of "minor" in your natural sciences section, I'm not sure if grad schools would consider it sufficient. It also makes it difficult to get letters of recommendation.

I'd say email admissions at UND and get more details on the space studies program to see what they're after.

seaofghosts said:
It might be a waste of time, unfortunately, but it's really hard to say. Grad programs in astronomy and astrophysics usually expect a strong background in physics, and that's difficult to do without university lab courses. Even though you might choose physics as your sort of "minor" in your natural sciences section, I'm not sure if grad schools would consider it sufficient. It also makes it difficult to get letters of recommendation.

I'd say email admissions at UND and get more details on the space studies program to see what they're after.

Did that, it's a Masters degree that accept pretty much anyone with a Bachelors degree (not just physics grads) as long the candidate shows a strong interest in space.
Now I found this other online school that offers a space studies BS but their program seems pretty general to me..here's the link: http://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/programs/degree/1264/bachelor-of-science-in-space-studies
I thought maybe coupled with a Masters from UND in spase studes maybe?!
Any thoughts..?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, keep in mind that these degrees would be pigeon-holing you into nothing but space. Most universities expect professors to have PhDs in physics and/or astronomy, not necessarily space studies. If you want to go into it as a career, the job prospects are lower when your degrees are as specialized as these. I'm not saying you won't be able to find a job, but it will probably be harder. It all depends on whether the money is worth the risk for you. It sounds like a cool program but price tag makes me wince, lol.

seaofghosts said:
Well, keep in mind that these degrees would be pigeon-holing you into nothing but space. Most universities expect professors to have PhDs in physics and/or astronomy, not necessarily space studies. If you want to go into it as a career, the job prospects are lower when your degrees are as specialized as these. I'm not saying you won't be able to find a job, but it will probably be harder. It all depends on whether the money is worth the risk for you. It sounds like a cool program but price tag makes me wince, lol.

Yeah it's pretty high...this is kinda frustrating, I might just start taking physics ,chemistry and labs here at the community college one or two a sem till I'm able to transfer those to a degree, not much of a plan really, but I need to get started somehow :/

What is a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics?

A BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics is an undergraduate degree program that combines courses in both the natural sciences and mathematics. This degree program allows students to gain a broad understanding of various scientific disciplines while also developing strong mathematical skills.

What subjects are typically covered in a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics program?

A BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics program typically covers a wide range of subjects, including biology, chemistry, physics, statistics, calculus, and linear algebra. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of natural science or mathematics, such as environmental science or applied mathematics.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics?

Graduates with a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics have a variety of career options available to them. Some common career paths include research scientist, data analyst, actuary, science educator, and environmental consultant. This degree also provides a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields such as medicine, engineering, or computer science.

What skills do students develop in a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics program?

Students in a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics program develop a diverse set of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. They also gain strong communication skills, both written and verbal, which are essential for presenting research findings and collaborating with colleagues.

What is the difference between a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics and a BS in Natural Sciences/Mathematics?

The main difference between a BA and a BS in Natural Sciences/Mathematics is the focus of the curriculum. A BA program typically allows for more flexibility in course selection and may have a stronger emphasis on liberal arts and humanities courses. A BS program, on the other hand, may have a more structured curriculum with a greater focus on mathematics and science courses.