Learning to Help Others Online: A Challenging Experience

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the challenges of helping others and the importance of providing enough information in future questions. The post was found to be confusing and possibly better suited for a different forum. The speaker also expressed appreciation for the enriching experience.
Square1
It's harder than I thought ... haha

It's hard to gauge how much the person knows, what strategy works on them, how much extra info they wouldn't mind hearing and using.

Also hard to keep yourself from going in circles trying not to be redundant by explaining something in different ways.

Also have a greater appreciation now for providing more information in my own future questions to guide the responses better.

But it is an enriching experience! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question in there somewhere or did you just feel the need to get that off your chest? :smile:

Absolutely zero questions in there. Just venting :)

edit..

forum feedback, as in how i have found my helping experience so far...

Last edited:
The post is confusing.

1. What are you trying to say? If you learned something about helping others, what is it that you learned?
  2. Maybe the post belongs in a different forum or board?

I am so confusing...Good thing at least phinds was able to use his intuition. I'll be painfully explicit, structured and plain next time I would like to invite people to discussion.

symbolipoint said:

1. What are you trying to say? If you learned something about helping others, what is it that you learned?

Square1 learned this:
have greater appreciation .. for providing more information in my own future questions

Cute, symbol...

It was, (quite) blatantly said afterwards it was just a declarative statement. So since it wasn't a question, I don't know why (in fact, I am just so sooooo confused...) you are trying to cite what I said about asking questions, to a scenerio where I wan't asking questions.

1. How can I effectively help others online?

Helping others online can be a challenging experience, but there are some key strategies that can help. First, make sure to actively listen to the person you are trying to help and provide empathetic responses. Additionally, use clear and concise language, avoid jargon, and provide resources or references to support your advice. It is also important to maintain boundaries and prioritize self-care while helping others online.

2. What are some potential challenges of helping others online?

One of the main challenges of helping others online is the lack of physical and visual cues, which can make it difficult to accurately understand and respond to the person's needs. Additionally, there may be technical barriers such as poor internet connection or language barriers. Another challenge is the potential for misunderstandings or miscommunication due to the asynchronous nature of online communication.

3. How can I establish trust when helping others online?

Building trust with someone online takes time and effort. It is important to be genuine, transparent, and consistent in your communication. Show empathy, respect, and understanding towards the person's situation. Use active listening techniques and follow through on any commitments or promises you make. It is also helpful to establish boundaries and maintain confidentiality to build a sense of trust.

4. How can I handle difficult or sensitive situations when helping others online?

When faced with a difficult or sensitive situation, it is important to remain calm and professional. Allow the person to express their thoughts and feelings, and validate their experiences. Use active listening techniques and avoid judgment or personal biases. If necessary, provide resources or referrals to other professionals who may be better equipped to handle the situation.

5. How can I protect my own well-being while helping others online?

Helping others online can be emotionally and mentally draining, so it is important to prioritize self-care. Set boundaries for yourself and take breaks when needed. Practice self-awareness and recognize when you may need to step away from a situation. Seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional if you are feeling overwhelmed. Remember that taking care of yourself allows you to better help others.