Solving system of 2nd order coupled ODEs

In summary: The solution for y(t) is obtained by replacing A with -A, and B with -B, in the expressions for C_{1}...C_{4}.In summary, the conversation discusses deriving equations of motion from a Lagrangian, specifically in a problem involving a pendulum in a rotating frame. The equations of motion are derived and simplified, and techniques for solving coupled differential equations are mentioned. The conversation also touches on the importance of including higher order derivatives and the impact of initial conditions on the solution.
guest1234
I have to derive equations of motion from Lagrangian and stumbled upon the following system of equations (constants are simplified, that information is unneeded)

[itex]
\begin{cases}
\ddot{x}-A\dot{y}+Bx=0 \\
\ddot{y}+A\dot{x}+Dy=0
\end{cases}
[/itex]

This is an extension of a simpler problem where B=D. There I just multiplied the second equation by i, added equations together, substituted z=x+iy and solved for z.

But doing the same with current system doesn't help much (can't substitute z=x+iy, b/c [itex]B\ne{D}[/itex]).

When choosing E=(B+D)/2 and F=E-B then

[itex]
\begin{cases}
\ddot{x}-A\dot{y}+Ex=Fx\\
\ddot{y}+A\dot{x}+Ey=-Fy
\end{cases}
[/itex]

isn't much help either.

I know there are some techniques for solving coupled differential equations like writing a reciprocal matrix for the system but it seems that it applies only to 1st order ODEs.

Is there any analytic solutions to this?
When punching it into Maple, it throws a huge block of square roots, although simpler problem gave me a combination of exponentials (for z). I know this problem must give similar answer with little modifications, but don't know how to tackle it.

Help and pointers much appreciated

Likes worryingchem
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate the first equation, and get an equation for doubledotted y in terms of the x-terms.
Insert this into your second equation, to get y expressed in terms of x-terms.
Differentiate THIS for an expression for singledotted y, and insert this into your first equation.
That is a fourth-order differential equation for x(t)

Thanks, worked.
But it's strange that equations for x and y have both the same solution (although it shouldn't). I dropped fourth order derivative and solved second order ODE.
Case closed for now.

You can't drop the fourth order derivative.
You have no reason to assume it is sufficiently small, relative to the other terms

Well, depends on the problem (I am using small angle approximation as my problem inherently allows me to do that)

guest1234 said:
Well, depends on the problem (I am using small angle approximation as my problem inherently allows me to do that)
Not really. The angle might be small, even though the higher rates of changes aren't.

If you have positive B, for example, you will have two vibrational modes, not a single harmonic motion.

Only if (1+A^2+B)^2-4B is negligible, relative to (1+A^2+B) can you make that simplification.

Context: problem I need to solve is about pendulum in a rotating frame
Well, I already dropped all components that are Big O(angle ^3) and beyond in Lagrangian, for the sake of finding analytic solution (otherwise I'd have system of three coupled 2nd order diff equation with variable coefficient, no good). I believe that including further analytic accuracy won't weigh up real life effects, although interesting effects may occour.
I already included centrifugal, Coriolis and Eötvös effects (the reason I was surprised that equations of motion are the same for x and y; will redo my math tomorrow). Two vibrational modes are kind of things that are beyond me. Is it something like oscillating around its trajectory or..? Eager to know.

IGNORE THIS POST!
It means you have two distinct angular frequencies.
(Your four solutions is therefore a linear combination of the sines and cosines of those two frequencies)

Assuming B>0, those frequencies will be:
[tex]\omega_{1}=\sqrt{\frac{(1+A^{2}+B)+\sqrt{(1+A^{2}+B)^{2}-4B}}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{2}=\sqrt{\frac{(1+A^{2}+B)-\sqrt{(1+A^{2}+B)^{2}-4B}}{2}}[/tex]OOPS!
I just see that in my mental calulation here, I managed to treat A=D
That makes my solution all awry, but my point about the two frequencies is still valid.
Now, it is night time here in Oslo, so I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Couldn't sleep yet, so here we go:
The first equation yields us:
[tex]A\ddot{y}=\dddot{x}+B\dot{x}[/tex]
Thus, the second equation yields:
[tex]ADy=-\dddot{x}-(B+A^{2})\dot{x}[/tex]
so that:
[tex]-A\dot{y}=\frac{1}{D}(\ddddot{x}+(B+A^{2})\ddot{x})[/tex]
Thus, the first equation can be rewritten as:
[tex]\ddddot{x}+(B+D+A^{2})\ddot{x}+BDx=0[/tex]

An exponential trial solution [itex]x(t)=Ke^{rt}[/itex] yields the characteristic equation:
[tex]r^{4}+(B+D+A^{2})r^{2}+BD=0[/tex]
Or, solving for r squared:
[tex]r^{2}=\frac{-(B+D+A^{2})\pm\sqrt{(B+D+A^{2})^{2}-4BD}}{2}[/tex]
(my error was D=1, not D=A).
Now, note that for non-negative B and D, r^2 is necessarily negative (and the innermost radicand can be shown to be positive).
the plus/minus solutions yield the two angular frequencies, when finding imaginary solutions r:
[tex]\omega_{1}=\sqrt{\frac{(B+D+A^{2})+\sqrt{(B+D+A^{2})^{2}-4BD}}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{2}=\sqrt{\frac{(B+D+A^{2})-\sqrt{(B+D+A^{2})^{2}-4BD}}{2}}[/tex]

You may also rewrite these two frequencies as:
[tex]\omega_{1}=\frac{\hat{\omega}}{\sqrt{2}}\sqrt{1+{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}}, \hat{\omega}=\sqrt{(B+D+A^{2})}, \epsilon=\frac{4BD}{(B+D+A^{2})^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{2}=\frac{\hat{\omega}}{\sqrt{2}}\sqrt{1-\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/tex]

----------------------
Your general solution for x(t) is, therefore, up to 4 constants determined by initial conditions:
[tex]x(t)=C_{1}\cos(\omega_{1}t)+C_{2}\sin(\omega_{1}t)+C_{3}\cos(\omega_{2}t)+C_{4}\sin(\omega_{2}t)[/tex]
----------------------------------
Note that in the limit, [itex]\epsilon\to{1}[/itex], we get a single frequency,
[tex]\omega=\frac{\hat{\omega}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex], whereas
in the limit [itex]\epsilon\to{0}[/itex], we get TWO frequencies,
[tex]\omega_{1}=\hat{\omega}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{2}=\sqrt{\frac{BD}{B+D+A^{2}}}[/tex]
By omitting the fourth order derivative, you lose the high frequency, [itex]\omega_{1}[/itex]
-----
That your problem should have TWO fundamental frequencies, rather than just one, ought to be obvious, because you have two independent sources of "periodic" motion: The pendulum's own frequency of oscillation, and the rotating frame's rotation rate.

Last edited:
Having nothing better to do today, I'll derive the full solution for x(t)
1. Setting:
[tex]x(0)=x^{(0)}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{x}(0)=x^{(1)}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x}(0)=x^{(2)}[/tex]
[tex]\dddot{x}(0)=x^{(3)}[/tex]
2. We gain, by differentiating thrice the general solution, evaluating at t=0:
[tex]x^{(0)}=C_{1}+C_{3}[/tex]
[tex]x^{(2)}=-\omega_{1}^{2}C_{1}-\omega_{2}^{2}C_{3}[/tex]
[tex]x^{(1)}=\omega_{1}C_{2}+\omega_{2}C_{4}[/tex]
[tex]x^{(3)}=-\omega_{1}^{3}C_{2}-\omega_{2}^{3}C_{4}[/tex]
3. Therefore:
[tex]C_{1}=\frac{\omega_{2}^{2}x^{(0)}+x^{(2)}}{\omega_{2}^{2}-\omega_{1}^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]C_{3}=\frac{\omega_{1}^{2}x^{(0)}+x^{(2)}}{\omega_{1}^{2}-\omega_{2}^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]C_{2}=\frac{\omega_{2}^{2}x^{(1)}+x^{(3)}}{\omega_{1}(\omega_{2}^{2}-\omega_{1}^{2})}[/tex]
[tex]C_{4}=\frac{\omega_{1}^{2}x^{(1)}+x^{(3)}}{\omega_{2}(\omega_{1}^{2}-\omega_{2}^{2})}[/tex]
4. Simplifications:
We have:
a) [tex]\omega_{1}^{2}-\omega_{2}^{2}=\hat{\omega}^{2}\sqrt{1-\epsilon}[/tex]
b)
[tex]x^{(2)}=Ay^{(1)}-Bx^{(0)}[/tex]
c)
[tex]x^{(3)}=-(A^{2}+B)x^{(1)}-ADy^{(0)}[/tex]
5. That is:
[tex]C_{1}=-\frac{(\omega_{2}^{2}-B)x^{(0)}+Ay^{(1)}}{\hat{\omega}^{2}\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/tex]
[tex]C_{3}=\frac{(\omega_{1}^{2}-B)x^{(0)}+Ay^{(1)}}{\hat{\omega}^{2}\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/tex]
[tex]C_{2}=\frac{(\omega_{2}^{2}-A^{2}-B)x^{(1)}+ADy^{(0)}}{\omega_{1}\hat{\omega}^{2}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}}[/tex]
[tex]C_{4}=-\frac{(\omega_{1}^{2}-A^{2}-B)x^{(1)}+ADy^{(0)}}{\omega_{2}\hat{\omega}^{2}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}}[/tex]
Collected together, this is the solution for x(t), relative to the 7 arbitrary constants the problem includes.
:smile:

Last edited:
Thank you!

I did my math by myself and verify your solution, although I searched solution in the form [itex]x(t)=x_0e^{i\omega{t}}[/itex], so it's just a matter of adding an imaginary unit here and there. It's now clear to me, why one cannot drop fourth derivative - when dealing with rotating reference frames, the solution must include two different frequencies.

For now, I must find conditions for coefficients in equation of motion that satisfy small angle approximation, but that's a whole different topic. Some questions have arisen tho, but I will formulate them after deadline in another topic.

guest1234 said:
Thank you!

I did my math by myself and verify your solution, although I searched solution in the form [itex]x(t)=x_0e^{i\omega{t}}[/itex], so it's just a matter of adding an imaginary unit here and there. It's now clear to me, why one cannot drop fourth derivative - when dealing with rotating reference frames, the solution must include two different frequencies.
You're welcome!
:smile:

What is a system of 2nd order coupled ODEs?

A system of 2nd order coupled ordinary differential equations (ODEs) is a set of two or more equations that involve derivatives of a function with respect to a single independent variable. These equations are coupled because the dependent variables in each equation are interdependent and cannot be solved separately.

Why is it important to solve system of 2nd order coupled ODEs?

Many physical systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and biological systems, can be described by a system of 2nd order coupled ODEs. Solving these equations allows us to understand the behavior and dynamics of these systems, make predictions, and design control strategies.

What methods can be used to solve system of 2nd order coupled ODEs?

There are various methods that can be used to solve system of 2nd order coupled ODEs, including analytical methods such as substitution and variation of parameters, and numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

What are the challenges of solving system of 2nd order coupled ODEs?

One of the main challenges of solving system of 2nd order coupled ODEs is the complexity of the equations, which may involve multiple variables, parameters, and initial/boundary conditions. In addition, the equations may be nonlinear, making it difficult to find exact solutions. The choice of method and the accuracy of the numerical solutions can also be challenging.

What are some real-world applications of solving system of 2nd order coupled ODEs?

System of 2nd order coupled ODEs has many real-world applications, including modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, predicting population growth in ecological systems, and designing control systems for robotic arms. These equations are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and biology to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.