Mayan Temple Irreparably Damaged by Doomsday Partiers

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the ancient stone temple of Tikal in Guatemala, was damaged by tourists who climbed Temple II during an "end of the world" party earlier this month. The technical adviser at the site described the damage as "irreparable." This incident highlights the importance of respecting and preserving ancient heritage sites.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is outrageous.

An ancient stone temple in Guatemala suffered significant damage from "end of the word" party goers earlier this month.

Tikal, where the temple is located, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and, according to AFP, "the largest archaeological site and urban center of the Mayan civilization."

"Sadly, many tourists climbed Temple II and caused damage," said Osvaldo Gomez, a technical adviser at the site told AFP. It is forbidden to climb the temples. The nature of the damage was not described, but Gomez said it's "irreparable."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...world-parties-173634842--abc-news-travel.html

Physics news on Phys.org
That's terrible. Damn idiots...

For some reason, I don't care. I am not really interested in the past.

tahayassen said:

Blasphemer! Awaken Osiris!

tahayassen said:

It happened in the present to buildings that exist right now. And I could argue that the destruction of anything was a destruction of the past.

tahayassen said:

Heh. Too bad, you'll be stuck in the refresher course :smile:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

tahayassen said:

Without the past, there wouldn't be a present. :)

tahayassen said:

You got five quotes in a row for this statement, it must be controversial.

An ancient stone temple in Guatemala suffered significant damage from "end of the word" party goers earlier this month.

so? :confused: it's not exactly the end of the world, is it? :wink:

(in the beginning was the word o:))

Elementary. Jose Arguelas (he came up with the 2012 thing) confused the end of the world with the destruction of the temple. Could happen to anybody. So his prediction was dead on.

Having seen a few ancient temples, often they are dirt enclosed by brick. If the brick is damaged the thing can avalanche and cost too much to repair.

Morons. Kill 'em all, I say.

Pythagorean said:
You got five quotes in a row for this statement, it must be controversial.

It's always fun to gauge how controversial a post can be by looking at the number of people who took the time to reply to some guy on the internet. Relevant XKCD: http://xkcd.com/386/

Its sad. Just because I am not a doomsday believer, I don't have the privilege to damage a Mayan temple.

tiny-tim said:
so? :confused: it's not exactly the end of the world, is it? :wink:

(in the beginning was the word o:))

Word! :biggrin:

I know my reply's late, but why let that stand in the way of a nice riposte?

Priceless Egyptian artefacts including mummies were damaged in the Cairo museum during riots as well. Always sad to see people so disrespectful of ancient heritage, especially wen it's from something stupid like a party.

There's damage and then there's damage. http://news.yahoo.com/builders-bulldoze-big-mayan-pyramid-belize-225012836.html. It's incredible what some people will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImATrackMan said:
At least it wasn't another case of a peruvian developer destroying the Nazca Lines...

Shame, too. They were on my bucket list.

What??! I've always wanted to see them, too.

1. What is the significance of the Mayan temple that was damaged by doomsday partiers?

The Mayan temple is a significant cultural and historical site, believed to have been built between 600-900 AD. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is an important part of the Mayan civilization's legacy.

2. How was the temple damaged by these doomsday partiers?

The doomsday partiers reportedly climbed onto the temple and caused damage by breaking off pieces of the stone structure, carving graffiti, and leaving trash behind.

3. Were there any efforts made to prevent this damage?

The temple is located in a remote area and is not constantly monitored. However, local authorities have implemented measures to protect the site, such as installing fences and surveillance cameras.

4. What steps are being taken to repair the damage?

The extent of the damage is still being assessed, but authorities have stated that the damage is irreparable. They are working to remove the graffiti and debris left behind, but the physical structure of the temple cannot be fully restored.

5. How can we prevent similar incidents from happening in the future?

Educating people about the importance and cultural significance of historical sites is crucial in preventing similar incidents. Stricter enforcement of rules and regulations, as well as increased security measures, can also help protect these valuable sites from further damage.