Attachment Disappearing Mystery on Physics Forums?

• Bug
  • Thread starter gneill
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user experiencing issues with attaching a .gif file to a reply on a forum. The attachment appears in the preview but disappears after submission, resulting in an "Invalid Attachment specified" message. The issue may be caused by a fake extension or a problem with the image creation. The user will continue to monitor for similar occurrences.
gneill
Mentor
Attachements not "taking"?

For some reason I can't seem to get an attachment to "stick" on a reply.

I uploaded a .gif as usual and inserted its address betwixt IMG tags. It shows up in the preview before submission, but after submission the attachment has disappeared. Following the link results in the "Invalid Attachment specified" vBulletin screen. Editing the post and selecting "Manage Attachments" shows no attachments associated with the post.

The thread in question is located here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=669191

The post in question is post #6.

So, is it just me or is this happening to others as well?

Physics news on Phys.org

Usually this happens when an image has a fake extension. What I mean is that just because it's named with .gif doesn't mean it's a gif file.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Usually this happens when an image has a fake extension. What I mean is that just because it's named with .gif doesn't mean it's a gif file.
Thanks. I'll take a look to see if I've mucked up the image creation somehow.

gneill said:
Thanks. I'll take a look to see if I've mucked up the image creation somehow.

Nope. Definitely a .gif file. I re-uploaded it and inserted the new address and this time it seems to be happy. Strangely, when I tried the same thing previously (once with the same file and filename, and once with a newly created image file with a different filename) it vanished after submission (but showed in the preview).

So a bit of a mystery. I'll keep an eye out for further occurrences.

1. Why are my attachments not showing up?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a slow internet connection, an outdated email client, or a problem with the sender's email server. It's best to check these factors before assuming that there is a problem with the attachment itself.

2. How can I fix attachments not downloading?

If you are having trouble downloading attachments, try clearing your cache and cookies, restarting your computer or device, and ensuring that you have enough storage space. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your email provider for further assistance.

3. Why do my attachments appear corrupted?

Corrupted attachments could be a result of a virus or malware on your device, a problem with the sender's computer, or an issue with the file itself. Try scanning your device for viruses and ask the sender to resend the attachment if possible.

4. How do I open an attachment with an unknown file extension?

If you receive an attachment with an unknown file extension, you can try using a universal file opener or a file converter to access the file. However, be cautious when downloading and opening files with unknown extensions, as they could potentially contain viruses.

5. Can I still access attachments if I accidentally deleted the email?

If you have accidentally deleted an email with attachments, you may still be able to access them through your email's trash folder. If the email has been permanently deleted, you may need to contact the sender to resend the attachments.