Why is my LED glowing without any input when using 7402 ic?

• Thread starter sandeepmrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 7402 IC to create logic gates and the issue of the LED glowing before any input is given. It is explained that this is due to the high input impedance of CMOS logic gates, which can cause unpredictable results when inputs are left unconnected. The solution is to connect all unused inputs to 0V or VCC in order to avoid picking up noise.
sandeepmrocks
Hello everyone...!
i have made different logic gates using 7402 ic (quad 2-input nor gate ic). what actually occurs is that after joining different gates for making "and" gate & "or" gate until i give the input the LED glows( i have connected the negative terminal of LED to negative terminal of battery and the output of final nor gate to the positive terminal of battery).
But before giving high or low input on any of these gate (i.e. 0 volts in the input terminals), the bulb glows, but as soon as i connect low voltage source (i.e. 0 input) the bulb doesn't glows(which should happen)..
so i didn't found it why the LED was glowing when i didn't gave any input. Can anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you leave any of the inputs disconnected the voltage on that input is undefined.

CMOS logic gates have a very high input impedance. The pins on an unconnected input can act like an aerial and pick up noise (static electricity, induced voltage from the 50/60Hz mains or even radio waves). The results are unpredictable, the logic gate may well amplify this noise or treat it as a logic 1 or 0 causing the LED on the output to light up.

It's quite possible the LED is flashing at 50 or 60Hz or trying to flash at radio frequencies!

When you connect the inputs to 0V (or VCC) with a wire you not only force the input to be a logic 0 (or 1) but you also change the impedance of the input node and this stops the input picking up noise.

When you design a circuit all unused/spare inputs should be connected to 0V or VCC.

thanx CWatters

1. What is a 7402 IC?

A 7402 IC is a type of integrated circuit that contains four NOR gates. It is commonly used in electronic circuits as a basic logic building block.

2. How does a 7402 IC work?

A 7402 IC works by receiving input signals and performing logical operations on them using the NOR gates. The output of the IC is determined by the inputs and the specific logic operation being performed.

3. What are the applications of a 7402 IC?

A 7402 IC is commonly used in electronic circuits for tasks such as logic gates, amplifiers, and signal processing. It is also used in microcontrollers and computer hardware.

4. How do I test a 7402 IC?

To test a 7402 IC, you can use a multimeter to check the continuity and voltage levels at different inputs and outputs. You can also connect the IC to a circuit and observe its behavior to ensure it is functioning properly.

5. Are there any common issues with 7402 ICs?

One common issue with 7402 ICs is overheating, which can lead to malfunction or failure of the IC. It is important to ensure proper cooling and ventilation when using these ICs in electronic circuits.