Happy Chinese New Year 2021 | Welcome the Year of the Ox!

• Thread starter liumylife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: It was really interesting to talk to him.In summary, today is the first day of the Chinese calendar and is also the Lunar New Year. There are a lot of Chinese kids in New York City and it's interesting to hear about their culture.
liumylife
Do you guys know that today(2/10) is the first day in Chinese calendar? so happy new year guys. By the way, is there any Chinese here?

Physics news on Phys.org
My wife and I are planning to go to Times Square tonight and watch the ball come down.

我不是中国人,可是说或中文。 我的中文不好。

I wish I could visit China for the celebration. That would be a neat experience. I've always loved Chinese culture.

Oh, where I am it is Chinese New Year's Eve. 恭喜发财!

Happy new year to you. :)

Gong hei fat choy :smile:

Cool, I heard the ball-dropping is an very old tradition for NY people.

Wow, you can really make others see Chinese here, how nice. Chinese is somehow difficult for first-timer to learn and speak, as my USA friend told me, and I think Chinese culture is really broad and deep, so worth understanding.

Jow said:
Oh, where I am it is Chinese New Year's Eve. 恭喜发财!

Gad said:
Happy new year to you. :)

rootX said:

Thank you all for your wishes~

恭喜发财

http://openspacesfengshui.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013-year-of-the-snake-250x236.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
kung hei fat choi!

rootX said:

fuzzyfelt said:
kung hei fat choi!

Years ago someone told me this phrase actually means, "Happy New Year, now give me the red envelope!" (Traditionally children are given money at New Year's in a red envelope.)

Any truth to that?

lisab said:
Years ago someone told me this phrase actually means, "Happy New Year, now give me the red envelope!" (Traditionally children are given money at New Year's in a red envelope.)

Any truth to that?

RootX and fuzzyfelt must've prepared for this.. I mean there are a whole lot of Chinese kids out there. :biggrin:

Gad said:
RootX and fuzzyfelt must've prepared for this.. I mean there are a whole lot of Chinese kids out there. :biggrin:
hehe :rofl:

lisab said:

Any truth to that?
I know this is Cantonese way of saying Happy New Year. A Mandarin restaurant ad on our local radio used to "Gong hei fat choy " this all around the year!

lisab said:

Any truth to that?

Absolutely. It doesn't only apply to the new year though. They are called hong2bao1 (红包), literally "red envelope". Something interesting to note is that the money inside, should always end in an even number, you know, because odd numbers are bad luck.

Welcome to the New Year you sexy, slimy reptiles!
raptor%20jesus%201600x1000%20wallpaper_www.knowledgehi.com_51.jpg

Merry Christmas ... or the same thing to a different culture.

Pick you celebration ... and have fun with it. Lunar New Year is as good as any. Party on dudes!

lisab said:

Any truth to that?

HaHa, that's right. No one actually say it but kids, I can remember I used to say it when I was a kid, before or after I got the red envelope, both ways are ok since people who give kids envelopes must be family members. Funny thing to say is I had to prepare many different words other than “gong xi fa cai" to say to different members otherwise, say, grandfather or some wouldn't give me the envelope till I speak another new word.

QuarkCharmer said:
恭喜发财

http://openspacesfengshui.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013-year-of-the-snake-250x236.jpg [Broken]

Wow, that's cool, you know this year is a "snake year" in Chinese tradition.
I'd known someone from UCB who come to China to seek opportunity to start his own business, and I found him really understand many things about Chinese and our life, like TV shows, Chinese-made movies, pop songs...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of the Year of the Ox?

The Ox is the second animal in the Chinese zodiac and is associated with hard work, determination, and prosperity. In Chinese culture, the Ox is seen as a symbol of reliability and success in agriculture and trade.

2. When is Chinese New Year 2021?

Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, falls on February 12th in 2021. The date varies each year as it follows the lunar calendar.

3. How is Chinese New Year celebrated?

Chinese New Year is a time for family reunions and honoring ancestors. People decorate their homes with red lanterns and paper cutouts, and traditional feasts are prepared. Fireworks and dragon dances are also common festivities.

4. What are some traditions and customs during Chinese New Year?

Some common customs include giving and receiving red envelopes filled with money, cleaning the house to sweep away bad luck, and wearing new clothes to symbolize a fresh start. It is also important to avoid negative words and actions during this time.

5. How long does Chinese New Year last?

The celebration of Chinese New Year typically lasts for 15 days, with the climax being on the 15th day, known as the Lantern Festival. However, the holiday is celebrated for a full month in some regions and cultures.