Understanding Inertial and Non-Inertial Reference Frames

• Thread starter Bostonpancake0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertial
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment conducted on a train car moving along level rail tracks. A load is hung from the ceiling on a string at a constant angle with the horizontal. The options being considered are whether the train is an inertial or non-inertial reference frame, and if it is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, in a circle, or if it is accelerating. The conclusion is that the train is likely not an inertial reference frame and may be accelerating or in circular motion.
Bostonpancake0
You are conducting an experiment inside a train car that may move along level rail tracks. A load is hung from the ceiling on a string. The load is not swinging, and the string is observed to make a constant angle of with the horizontal. No other forces are acting on the load. Which of the following statements are correct?

1./train is an inertial reference frame
2./train is not an inertial reference frame
3./train may be instantaneously at rest
4./The train may be moving at a constant speed in a straight line.
5./ The train may be moving at a constant speed in a circle.
6./The train must be speeding up.
7./The train must be slowing down.
8./The train must be accelerating

I'm thinking 2./ and 8./ as the angle of 45 degrees indicates a force acting on the load, thus meaning that the train is not an inertial reference frame, but I'm not totally shore if I am on the right track??

Physics news on Phys.org
Bostonpancake0 said:
You are conducting an experiment inside a train car that may move along level rail tracks. A load is hung from the ceiling on a string. The load is not swinging, and the string is observed to make a constant angle of with the horizontal. No other forces are acting on the load. Which of the following statements are correct?

1./train is an inertial reference frame
2./train is not an inertial reference frame
3./train may be instantaneously at rest
4./The train may be moving at a constant speed in a straight line.
5./ The train may be moving at a constant speed in a circle.
6./The train must be speeding up.
7./The train must be slowing down.
8./The train must be accelerating

I'm thinking 2./ and 8./ as the angle of 45 degrees indicates a force acting on the load, thus meaning that the train is not an inertial reference frame, but I'm not totally shore if I am on the right track??
Where does 45° suddenly come from ?

ohhhh and 5./ as train can be in ciruclar motion causing an centripetal acceleration causing 45 degree angle of load and is still a non -inertial reference frame.

it must come from an acceleration right?

I see nothing regarding 45° in the problem statement .

Bostonpancake0 said:
I'm not totally shore if I am on the right track??
SammyS said:
Where does 45° suddenly come from ?

I not shore you're on the left track, either...

It might be that the train car is now buoyed up by the water you've entered, when leaving the shore...

Iff this is the case, you are in a non-inertial reference frame.

The 45° string angle could indicate you are about to turn turtle, in which case 3./ will shorely apply... :approve:
OCR... :tongue2:... lol

Last edited:

1. What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant speed and direction, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is an inertial frame of reference different from a non-inertial frame?

An inertial frame of reference is a non-accelerating frame, while a non-inertial frame is accelerating. In a non-inertial frame, Newton's first law of motion does not hold true, and objects may appear to experience fictitious forces due to the acceleration of the frame.

3. Can an object be in both an inertial and non-inertial frame at the same time?

No, an object can only be in one frame of reference at a time. However, an observer in a non-inertial frame may perceive an object to be in both an inertial and non-inertial frame if they are not aware of their own acceleration.

4. How do we determine if a frame of reference is inertial or not?

One way to determine if a frame of reference is inertial is by using Newton's first law of motion. If an object at rest remains at rest or an object in motion continues moving at a constant speed and direction, the frame is inertial. Another way is by analyzing the forces acting on objects in the frame and checking if they follow the laws of motion.

5. Why is it important to distinguish between inertial and non-inertial frames of reference?

It is important to distinguish between these frames of reference because the laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, only hold true in inertial frames. In non-inertial frames, these laws may not apply, and it is necessary to consider fictitious forces to accurately describe the motion of objects. Additionally, the concept of inertia is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.