Powered sphere completely surrounded by perfect mirrors

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical setup involving a sphere with an internal nuclear energy source and a surrounding shell. The question is posed about what would happen if the inner surface of the shell was a perfect mirror. The group agrees that the sphere would heat up until it melted, as the reflected radiation would prevent it from cooling. The mechanism for increasing temperature is through conduction from the nuclear plant and the concentration of energy on the sphere's surface. However, there is some discussion about the distinction between concentration and intensity of energy with regards to temperature. Ultimately, it is determined that the sphere would not be able to cool itself in this scenario.
KLindem
I humbly ask for people's opinions on the following hypothetical setup:

A solid black body sphere in space is supplied by an internal nuclear energy source with a constant power flux to its surface of 459 W/m2. It's surface temperature is accordingly 300K. The power released (to space) balances exactly the power supplied (from the nuclear source) at the sphere's surface. The temperature thus remains constant.

Then we place a shell around the sphere, enclosing it totally. For argument's sake, the temperature of the shell can be considered to be equal to that of the surrounding space (0 K - impossible, yes, but bear with me). The surface of the sphere and the shell is equidistant all around and the gap between the two bodies is a vacuous space. Now, let's say the radius of the sphere is 1000 km and the radius of the shell 1001 km. This means that the distance between the surface of the sphere and the inner surface of the shell is 1 km, allowing us, for simplicity's sake, to disregard the difference in area between the two facing surfaces (amounting to 0,2 %). (If it turns out to matter at all.)

My question is this:

What would happen to this sphere/shell system if the entire inner surface of the shell were a perfect mirror, i.e. a perfect insulator of thermal radiation?

Cheers.

Science news on Phys.org
Then the sphere would heat up, higher and higher, until it melted. No energy would escape since you have "perfect" mirrors.

Thanks for answering.

Yes, that would of course be my guess too. Ever-increasing temperature.

But what actually happens to the energy returning from the mirror to the sphere? And how is the temperature actually raised? By what mechanism? Is it just from piling up of energy of equal level of intensity (frequency/vibration) on the surface of the sphere?

I guess it has to be caused somehow by ever increasing concentration of energy rather than increasing intensity ...? The internal power output after all remains constant. And the sphere's surface area will always be the same. So its inherent 'vibrational' (KE) temperature should stay the same as well.

Does that sound reasonable? Concentration vs. intensity of energy with regards to temperature ...

KLindem said:
But what actually happens to the energy returning from the mirror to the sphere?
It is absorbed since the sphere is a black body.

KLindem said:
And how is the temperature actually raised? By what mechanism?
By conduction from the nuclear plant. The reflected radiation serves to prevent any cooling, but does not actually raise the temperature by itself.

KLindem said:
Is it just from piling up of energy of equal level of intensity (frequency/vibration) on the surface of the sphere?

I guess it has to be caused somehow by ever increasing concentration of energy rather than increasing intensity ...?
I don't understand the distinction you are trying to draw here.

KLindem said:
The internal power output after all remains constant. And the sphere's surface area will always be the same. So its inherent 'vibrational' (KE) temperature should stay the same as well.
No, it is getting hotter, so its "'vibrational' (KE) temperature" will increase.

KLindem said:
Does that sound reasonable? Concentration vs. intensity of energy with regards to temperature ...
I still don't get the distinction.

Last edited:
Note that an object that is warmer than its surroundings will lose heat. Out in space, this can only be done by radiative cooling, where thermal radiation takes energy from the object. However, if you reflect all that radiation back on the object, as you have done in your example, it can no longer cool itself. As Dalespam said, you can treat this as if the object were incapable of cooling itself.

Yup, thanks!

1. What is a powered sphere completely surrounded by perfect mirrors?

A powered sphere completely surrounded by perfect mirrors is a theoretical construct in which a spherical object is enclosed by perfectly reflective surfaces and has an internal source of energy or power.

2. How does a powered sphere surrounded by perfect mirrors work?

The powered sphere works by harnessing and reflecting the energy emitted from its internal source in a continuous loop. The perfectly reflective nature of the mirrors ensures that the energy is constantly reflected back into the sphere, creating a sustained energy source.

3. What are the potential applications of a powered sphere surrounded by perfect mirrors?

The potential applications of a powered sphere surrounded by perfect mirrors are vast, ranging from renewable and sustainable energy production to advanced space propulsion systems. It could also be used for creating highly efficient and powerful lasers.

4. Is a powered sphere surrounded by perfect mirrors possible in reality?

At present, a powered sphere completely surrounded by perfect mirrors is not possible in reality due to the limitations of perfect reflectivity and the perpetual motion of energy. However, it remains a fascinating concept for scientific exploration and could potentially be achieved with advancements in technology.

5. How does a powered sphere surrounded by perfect mirrors relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The concept of a powered sphere surrounded by perfect mirrors challenges the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the second law which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. However, some theories suggest that this construct could potentially operate within the confines of the laws of thermodynamics by utilizing a perpetual motion machine.