Don't understand the graph of y^2=x^2

• Thread starter SpaceKidd_N7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: There are points in the third quadrant because when x is negative, y can be either negative or positive. In other words, the graph contains both the points where y = -x and the points where y = x. Therefore, the graph looks like an "X" or two intersecting lines. In summary, the graph of y2 = x2 contains points in all four quadrants because it is the union of two straight lines, y = x and y = -x, which intersect at the origin.
SpaceKidd_N7
Hi,

I don't really understand the graph of y2=x2. When I plot it in wolfram alpha, I get a plot that looks like an x or two diagonal intersecting lines that go through the origin. I can understand why there are points in the first, second, and fourth quadrants, but I am confused as to why there are points in the third quadrant.

This isn't for any homework, I'm just trying to study for an exam.

Thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
third quadrant - x < 0 and y < 0;
for some value a, x = -a and y = -a;
x^2 = y^2 = a^2

Likes 1 person
##y^2=x^2\Rightarrow y=\pm\sqrt{x^2}##

if ##y=+\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##

then ##y=-\sqrt{x^2}=\cdots##

So what do you get if you plot both on the same axis?

Likes 1 person
Ohh okay, I totally get it now.

Thank you very much!

Simon Bridge said:
##y^2=x^2\Rightarrow y=\pm\sqrt{x^2}##

if ##y=+\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##

then ##y=-\sqrt{x^2}=\cdots##
Or this ...
If y2 = x2
then y2 - x2 = 0
so (y - x)(y + x) = 0
∴ y = x or y = -x

The graph of y2 = x2 looks like the union of the graphs of y = x and y = -x -- two straight lines.

Likes 1 person

1. What does the graph of y^2=x^2 represent?

The graph of y^2=x^2 represents a set of points on a coordinate plane that satisfy the equation y^2=x^2, where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. Why is the graph of y^2=x^2 a curve instead of a straight line?

The graph of y^2=x^2 is a curve because the exponent of 2 on both the y and x variables causes the equation to have a quadratic form. This results in a parabolic curve when graphed.

3. How can I determine the shape of the graph of y^2=x^2?

The shape of the graph of y^2=x^2 can be determined by observing the symmetry of the equation. Since the exponent of 2 is applied to both variables, the graph will be symmetric about the y-axis. Additionally, the graph will have a "v" shape, with the vertex at the origin.

4. What is the range of the graph of y^2=x^2?

The range of the graph of y^2=x^2 is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0. This means that the graph will never have a negative y-value, as the squared term will always result in a positive value.

5. Can the graph of y^2=x^2 ever intersect the x-axis?

No, the graph of y^2=x^2 will never intersect the x-axis because the y^2 term will always be positive, resulting in a non-zero y-value for any x-value. However, the graph will intersect the y-axis at the origin (0,0).