Mechanical property of quasicrystals

In summary, the conversation is about quasicrystals and their potential for research, particularly in terms of their mechanical properties. There is currently limited research being done on quasicrystals, but they have been found to have unique properties such as low friction coefficients and high thermal and electrical resistance. The conversation also mentions a Nobel Prize-winning discovery of quasicrystals and the potential for commercial applications. The individual asking for suggestions on starting a project on quasicrystals is concerned about the difficulty of studying them without a background in group theory.
Timney
Are there anybody doing some research on quasicrystals ,especially its mechanical property?
I am just wondering why so few people are working on it,because intuitively I think quasicrystals will have a bright future.

So what do you think of quasicrystals? Is it worthy of research?
I want to start a project on its mechanical property,and i will appreciate if you could give me some suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that there is a lot of research on quasicrystalline materials, including thermal and mechanical properties.

http://euler.phys.cmu.edu/widom/research/qc/quasi.html

Widespread commercialization of quasicrystals awaits discovery of uses for these materials which display unusual hardness and brittleness, low coefficients of friction, and high thermal and electrical resistance. Some proposed applications include wear-resistant surface treatments for other metals in ball bearings and frying pans.
. . . .

What are Quasicrystals, and What Makes Them Nobel-Worthy?
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/10/quasicrystals-win-chemistry-nobel.html
The 2011 Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded on Wednesday to an Israeli scientist named Dan Shechtman who discovered a type of crystal so strange and unusual that it upset the prevailing views on the atomic structure of matter, leading to a paradigm shift in chemistry.

http://wwwphy.princeton.edu/~steinh/quasicrystals.html

http://www.physics.emory.edu/~weeks/pics/icon.html

There's probably many more pages.

Thanks a lot:)
i have googled as well,but i find that distinct properties of quasicrystals are mainly focused on its low frictional coefficient,which can be applied in frying pans and bearings .
so i decide to do something about that,but is it so difficult for an undergraduate since i have no idea about group theory??

1. What are quasicrystals?

Quasicrystals are solid materials characterized by long-range ordering of atoms, but with a non-repeating pattern. This means that while the atoms are arranged in an organized manner, they do not form a traditional crystal lattice structure.

2. How are the mechanical properties of quasicrystals different from traditional crystals?

The mechanical properties of quasicrystals are unique due to their non-repeating atomic patterns. Unlike traditional crystals, quasicrystals do not have a well-defined fracture plane, making them more resistant to cracking and breaking. They also exhibit higher strength and hardness compared to traditional crystals.

3. Can quasicrystals be used in practical applications?

Yes, quasicrystals have been used in various applications such as coatings for cutting tools, heat exchangers, and electronic devices. They have also shown potential for use in aerospace materials, as they have excellent strength-to-weight ratio and high thermal stability.

4. How do defects affect the mechanical properties of quasicrystals?

Defects, such as impurities or dislocations, can significantly influence the mechanical properties of quasicrystals. They can alter the atomic arrangement and lead to changes in the material's strength, ductility, and fracture behavior.

5. Can quasicrystals be synthesized or are they naturally occurring?

Both natural and synthetic quasicrystals have been discovered. Natural quasicrystals are found in meteorites, while synthetic quasicrystals are created in the laboratory through processes such as rapid solidification or thin film deposition.