Register to reply

Field Transformations work forwards but not backwards?

by Physics_5
Tags: backwards, field, forwards, transformations, work
Share this thread:
Physics_5
Apr3-14, 09:58 AM
P: 7
I got the right answer for this example problem going from reference frame A to B but when I use those fields to go back from B to A I don't get the same magnetic field I started with.

Do field transformations only work one way? Surely not? I don't see how forces could be the same if this were the case

Link to example problem: http://imgur.com/GCQeayW
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
dauto
Apr3-14, 10:03 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
You must have made a mistake because the field transforms work both ways. Hard to help you though since you couldn't be bothered to tell us what calculations you've made so far...
dauto
Apr3-14, 10:26 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
After looking at the example you linked I realize that the transformations you're using are the the low speed approximations. These are not exact. That might explain any discrepancies you may have found. Hard to tell because, again, you did not give us much explanation about the problem you're confronted with.

Physics_5
Apr3-14, 11:00 AM
P: 7
Field Transformations work forwards but not backwards?

Sorry for not posting calculations. I just read the next section and it addressed my concern. My reasoning was not wrong. The problem is that I was using the Galilean transformation equations, which I did not know we're based on the approximation v^2/c^2 = 0. Thanks everyone for helping.

Register to reply