Would like to discuss and idea with a material science engineer

In summary, the person is new to the forum and is seeking advice on how to test the technological viability of their idea for modifying phone screens. They are advised to hire an engineer who has experience with capacitive touch-screens and to be prepared to share details of their idea. It is suggested to add a non-disclosure agreement to the contract and that assessing technology proposals is a difficult and skilled job. The person is also directed to a different forum for further discussion and is curious about the role of engineers in assessing technology proposals and where to find them.
thepredestrian
Hi there!

Im new to this forum so pardon me if this is the wrong place to post my question.

Basically, I have an idea with regards to doing some modification to phone screens. However, there is no such technology (yet) for this and I have zero knowledge and background pertaining to engineering.

What I want to ask you guys is: who can I talk to / what steps can I do to test the technological viability of my idea?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Step 1: You need to hire an engineer who has worked on capacitative touch-screens before and who you are prepared to explain your idea in detail to. Without those details nobody can advise you beyond the basics.

Since you have "zero knowledge and background pertaining to engineering" it seems unlikely that you have come up with something for which there is yet "no such technology". An engineer will be able to fill you in. Again - you have to be prepared to part with the details.

By hiring the engineer you can add a non-disclosure agreement to the contract so you don't have to worry about public disclosure so much.

Assessing technology proposals is a difficult and skilled job where you pretty much get what you pay for.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Step 1: You need to hire an engineer who has worked on capacitative touch-screens before and who you are prepared to explain your idea in detail to. Without those details nobody can advise you beyond the basics.

Since you have "zero knowledge and background pertaining to engineering" it seems unlikely that you have come up with something for which there is yet "no such technology". An engineer will be able to fill you in. Again - you have to be prepared to part with the details.

By hiring the engineer you can add a non-disclosure agreement to the contract so you don't have to worry about public disclosure so much.

Assessing technology proposals is a difficult and skilled job where you pretty much get what you pay for.

THANK YOU. At least someone who can give me some directions, unlike the other subforum I posted a similar question on.

One question I would like clarification for: could you explain a little but more on what this 'assessing technology proposals' are? Do you mean to say that there are engineers out there whose job is to get paid assessing these kind of proposals? Also, where do you think I can find such engineers?

for reaching out and sharing your idea with us! As a material science engineer, I am always excited to discuss new ideas and potential advancements in technology. It's great to see people outside of the field taking an interest in these areas.

In order to test the technological viability of your idea, I would suggest reaching out to a research institute or university that specializes in material science and engineering. They may have the resources and expertise to help you further develop and test your idea.

Additionally, you may want to consider consulting with a patent lawyer to ensure your idea is protected before discussing it with others. This will also help you determine the potential market and commercial value of your idea.

I also recommend conducting thorough research on existing technologies and patents related to phone screens. This will give you a better understanding of the current state of the industry and how your idea may fit into it.

Overall, I think it's great that you are seeking out experts in the field to help you explore the potential of your idea. Collaboration and innovation are key in advancing technology, and I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

1. What is a material science engineer?

A material science engineer is a scientist who studies the properties and behavior of different materials, such as metals, plastics, and ceramics, to develop new materials or improve existing ones. They use their knowledge of chemistry, physics, and engineering to understand how materials can be manipulated and used in various applications.

2. What kind of ideas can be discussed with a material science engineer?

Material science engineers can provide valuable insights and expertise in a wide range of ideas related to materials, such as developing new materials for specific applications, improving the properties of existing materials, and finding more efficient and sustainable ways to produce and use materials.

3. How can a material science engineer help with the development of a new product?

A material science engineer can play a crucial role in the development of a new product by providing expertise on the selection and use of materials. They can also help with testing and analyzing the properties of different materials to ensure they meet the specific requirements and performance goals of the product.

4. Can a material science engineer help with cost reduction in manufacturing processes?

Yes, material science engineers can help with cost reduction in manufacturing processes by identifying more efficient and cost-effective materials and production methods. They can also provide solutions for waste reduction and recycling of materials, which can lead to significant cost savings in the long run.

5. What industries can benefit from collaborating with a material science engineer?

Many industries can benefit from collaborating with a material science engineer, including aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, and healthcare. Material science engineers can bring valuable insights and innovations to these industries, helping to improve products and processes and drive overall growth and development.