Who are the 'Unknown' Users in Windows 7?

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of an unknown username on the computer and how it may have been created through software installations or being part of a domain. The expert advises to check for the GUIDs in the registry and to not worry unless the unknown accounts reappear. They also explain the purpose of the GUID and how it is used in the Windows registry.
adjacent
Gold Member
attachment.php?attachmentid=70401&stc=1&d=1402132822.png

What are they? I never have any user named 'Unknown'. :confused:
Virus?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 954
Computer science news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person
Borg said:
Have you been copying files to a new installation?
No.

Ah,finally its gone. I reclaimed my ownership and deleted those accounts. However,I can't still understand why this unknown username was present there. Has this happened with thy computer before?

adjacent said:
No.

Ah,finally its gone. I reclaimed my ownership and deleted those accounts. However,I can't still understand why this unknown username was present there. Has this happened with thy computer before?
Probably. I usually just delete accounts that I don't recognize. Sometimes software installations will create accounts like that. If everything else is operating OK, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would just check over the next few weeks to see if they reappear. If so, then a lookup of the GUIDs in the registry would be in order.

Borg said:
If so, then a lookup of the GUIDs in the registry would be in order.
What is that? And why do thou do that? (:rofl: This old fashioned English is very funny. Is it allowed here,Mentors?)

adjacent said:
What is that? And why do thou do that? (:rofl: This old fashioned English is very funny. Is it allowed here,Mentors?)
The GUID is a Global Unique IDentifier. It's that S-1-... part in the parenthesis. The Windows registry heavily uses that to uniquely identify things. If you search for the GUIDs from the unknown users, you'll probably find that it references some software that you've installed.

Was this computer ever part of a domain?
When a domain system is disconnected from the network, account information cannot be retrieved because the computer cannot reach the active directory for user info.

1. Why are there unknown users in my Windows 7 system?

Unknown users in Windows 7 are often created by the system itself or by software installations. They are typically used for system processes and do not pose a security risk. However, if you are concerned about these users, you can check the User Accounts section in the Control Panel to see if any unknown users have administrator privileges.

2. How can I remove unknown users from my Windows 7 system?

You can remove unknown users from your Windows 7 system by going to the User Accounts section in the Control Panel and deleting the user accounts associated with the unknown users. Keep in mind that some unknown users may be necessary for system processes and removing them may cause issues with your system.

3. Can unknown users access my personal files and data?

In most cases, unknown users do not have access to your personal files and data. However, if they have been given administrator privileges, they may be able to access certain files and data. It is important to regularly monitor your system and remove any unknown users that may have administrator privileges.

4. How do I know if an unknown user is a security threat?

If an unknown user has been given administrator privileges or is able to access your personal files and data, it may be considered a security threat. It is important to regularly check your system for unknown users and remove any that may pose a risk to your security.

5. Can I rename an unknown user in Windows 7?

Yes, you can rename an unknown user in Windows 7 by going to the User Accounts section in the Control Panel and selecting the user account you want to rename. From there, you can click on the "Change the account name" option and enter a new name for the user. Keep in mind that this will only change the display name and not the actual username for the account.