Maximizing Critical Hits in DDO: Keen Edge vs Exploit Weakness

• Thread starter Grailhawk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Video
In summary, the conversation discusses the two options in a video game (DDO) that can increase the player's critical hit rate by 10%. The first option (Keen Edge) permanently increases the rate, while the second option (Exploit Weakness) increases it for each non-critical hit made. The player's base critical hit range is 15-20 (30%), leaving a 70% chance to not crit. The conversation then delves into the probability calculations for each option, with the conclusion that Exploit Weakness offers a ~14.44% increase in critical hits. However, further investigation and simulation show that the actual increase is closer to 10.9%. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an error
Grailhawk
Hi I play a video game (DDO to be specific). In this game I can chose one of 2 options the first (Keen Edge) increases my Critical hit rate by 10% permanently, the second option (Exploit Weakness) increases my critical hit rate by 10% each time I do not make a critical hit (e.g. Attack 1 crits so attack 2 has +0% crit chance, attack 1 and 2 do not crit so attack 3 has +20% chance to crit).

Which option is better and if the second one (Exploit Weakness) by how much?

The game being based on Dungeons and Dragons uses a d20 model for a lot of its probability. So my base Crit range is 15-20 (30%) which leaves 1-14 as a chance to not crit (70%).

My attempt at answering this question was to do the following

How many 13-14 would be critical hits if I take Exploit Weakness. Since a 13 or 14 can only be crits if the previous hit did not crit that means that 70% of 13 and 14 are crits. Further since 10% of my attacks will be rolls of 13 or 14 I have raised my critical hit rate by 7%

So now how many 11-12 will be critical hits. An 11-12 can only be a crit if the previous 2 hit were not crits. The first attack has a 70% chance to not be a crit and the second chance has a 60% chance to not be a crit so = .7*.6 = .42 so 42% of 11 and 12's will be crits for an additional 4.2% to total crit chance.

This train of thought leads to

09-10: 0.7*0.6*0.5 = 0.21 or 21% which is +2.1% critical hits
07-08: 0.7*0.6*0.5*0.4 = 0.084 or 8.4% which is +0.84% critical hits
05-06: 0.7*0.6*0.5*0.4*0.3 = 0.0252 or 2.52% which is +0.21% critical hits
03-04: 0.7*0.6*0.5*0.4*0.3*0.2 = 0.00504 or 0.5% which is +0.0504% critical hits
02: 0.7*0.6*0.5*0.4*0.3*0.2*0.1 = 0.000504/2 or 0.0252% which is +0.00252% critical hits
01: 0 because a 1 is always, and for this example the only time you, miss.

Sum it all up and you get ~14.44% increase to critical hits taking the second option (Exploit Weakness) which is a 4.44% gain over the other option.

Does my logic hold up?

Thank You
--Joe

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Moving to General Math

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Moving to General Math

The only thing that I can add is that my 14.44% result is not holding up under further investigation. What I did to try and confirm the 14.44% was create a simple computer program to simulate rolling a d20 10,000,000 times and have found that Exploit Weakness is on average about a 10.9% increase.

My current thoughts are that something is wrong with the statement bellow.
So now how many 11-12 will be critical hits. An 11-12 can only be a crit if the previous 2 hit were not crits. The first attack has a 70% chance to not be a crit and the second chance has a 60% chance to not be a crit so = .7*.6 = .42 so 42% of 11 and 12's will be crits for an additional 4.2% to total crit chance.

I think I'm taking something to be an independent event when its not?

What is a "Video Game Math Problem"?

A "Video Game Math Problem" is a mathematical challenge that is presented within a video game. It can involve solving equations, calculating angles or distances, or using other math skills to progress in the game.

Why do video games include math problems?

Video games often include math problems to challenge players and make the game more engaging and interactive. It can also help players develop their problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

Do I need to be good at math to play video games?

No, you do not need to be good at math to play video games. Most games have adjustable difficulty levels, so players of all skill levels can enjoy the game. However, having a basic understanding of math can make it easier to solve the math problems within the game.

Can video games help improve math skills?

Yes, video games can help improve math skills. Studies have shown that playing video games can improve spatial skills, which are important for math. Additionally, solving math problems within video games can help players practice and apply their math skills in a fun and engaging way.

Are there any resources available for video game math problem help?

Yes, there are various online resources available for video game math problem help. Some websites offer guides and walkthroughs for specific games, while others provide general tips and strategies for solving math problems in video games. Additionally, there are educational games and apps specifically designed to help players improve their math skills while playing.