Simulation of antennas in Low Frequency

In summary, the antenna shape that the user wants to work on is a simple dipole. They will need to know the shape, size, and bandwidth of the loop. The user also recommends using a high Q for reducing sensitivity to phase error between the loops.
rooby84
Hey everybody!
I wanted to simulate an antenna in Low Frequency, but I don't know any suitable software for this purpose. I'll appreciate if anybody could help me out...
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't most software packages that can simulate antennas go to low frequencies?
My only experience with antenna design was with Zeland IE3D (which is now part of a software package sold by Mentor) and that could down to very low frequencies (a few Hz), this was for on-chip antennas (patch antennas etc).

What software have you looked at?

There is a free simulation program called Eznec.
http://www.eznec.com/demoinfo.htm
Get the free "demo" version to try it out.

It is easy to use and accurate.

Low frequency antennas can be simulated but effects due to ground proximity have to be allowed for.

If you want to explore the theory of low frequency antennas, you can use "free space" mode which ignores ground proximity.

rooby84 said:
… to simulate an antenna in Low Frequency, …
Welcome to PF.
What approximate frequency are you referring to?
What type of antenna do you want to model?

f95toli said:
Can't most software packages that can simulate antennas go to low frequencies?
honestly I don't know that...Can they? I meant softwares like CST and HFSS

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Thank you so much.
Baluncore said:
What approximate frequency are you referring to?
What type of antenna do you want to model?
I want to simulate a crossed-loop antenna at 100 KHz.

rooby84 said:
I want to simulate a crossed-loop antenna at 100 KHz.
Sounds like a Bellini-Tosi direction finding system to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_direction_finder#Bellini-Tosi

At 100KHz the wavelength will be 3 Km, so I expect your loop diameter will be small when measured in wavelengths. The field pattern will therefore be that of a simple dipole.

Because your loops are orthogonal, (at 90°), they will not interact. For fixed stations it is usual to mount the two loops, one with N-S alignment, the other with E-W. On a ship one is mounted in the fore-aft plane, the other in the port-starboard plane.

This antenna configuration is not usually modeled with NEC type software. Analysis is best done by treating each loop independently, as an inductive loop with a capacitance to bring it to resonance.

There is a problem that comes from 100 KHz being in the middle of the “switching power supply” band. As a single turn loop you will pick up the local LF electric field noise. But if you have an even number of turns in each loop you can Earth the mid point where you take the balanced feed from the ends of the loop, usually at the bottom of the supporting tower. A single capacitor between the balanced feed points will bring the antenna to resonance.

A Faraday shield, (screen), can be installed in the form of a conductive tube or coaxial braid about the wire loop, that is also earthed at the base, but must have a short insulated gap symmetrically positioned, to prevent circulating currents. That system will respond only to the LF magnetic component of the signal. Most local electrical noise will then be rejected.

You will need to know the shape of the loop, it's size and the number of turns. That will permit calculation of loop self inductance and the value of the neutralisation capacitor required. I have equations to solve for regular polygon shapes, but to give the right ones, I will need to know;

What shape and size will your loops be?

You will also need to decide on the bandwidth. That can be adjusted by selecting the diameter and resistivity of the wire used to make the loop, or by using a resistor at the tuning capacitor to lower the Q of the resonance.

If you want to tune to a narrow band or channel you will want high Q. But if you want to use the output of the two loops on an x-y display to get the direction of signals or thunderstorms, you will need to use a much lower Q so as to reduce sensitivity to the phase error between the loops.

What bandwidth do you require?

It is common with crossed DF loops to have a very small third loop at 45° to the two main loops. That small loop is used to generate a milliwatt of test signal while trimming the capacitance to tune the loops to the same phase.

I'm sorry about the protracted process, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Hey Baluncore!
Thank you so much.
I'm so sorry that I replied late. actually I'm working on your proposed process, and it will take some time. below is the antenna shape I want to work on:
US6014111-4.png

Besides I have no idea of it's bandwidth :shy:

I think you inserted the image thumbnail, rather than the image.
Ah ha! US patent 6,014,111 .pdf attached.

Attachments

• US6014111.pdf
    436.9 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
yes, that's it!
and fig 1a and fig 1b is the structure that I want to simulate ;)

For a receiving antenna at lf, a pair of crossed ferrites could give good sensitivity and be very compact. (Had to laugh. My auto spell kept trying to make it "crossed ferrets". Annoyed rodents?)

1. What is the purpose of simulating antennas in Low Frequency?

The purpose of simulating antennas in Low Frequency is to accurately predict their performance in real-world environments. This allows for the optimization of antenna design and placement for various applications, such as communication systems, radar systems, and wireless power transfer.

2. What factors affect the performance of antennas in Low Frequency?

The performance of antennas in Low Frequency is affected by factors such as antenna size, shape, material, and surrounding objects. Other factors include the frequency of operation, ground conductivity, and environmental conditions.

3. What types of simulation methods are commonly used for antennas in Low Frequency?

Some common simulation methods for antennas in Low Frequency include Method of Moments (MoM), Finite Element Method (FEM), Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD), and Ray Tracing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from simulating antennas in Low Frequency?

The accuracy of the simulation results depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the antenna and the simulation method used. In general, the results obtained from simulations are considered to be very accurate and can closely match the performance of real-world antennas.

5. What are some challenges in simulating antennas in Low Frequency?

One of the main challenges in simulating antennas in Low Frequency is accurately modeling the surrounding environment, which can greatly affect the antenna's performance. Other challenges include dealing with the large size of low-frequency antennas and the computational resources required for simulations.