Hawking's latest book and it's on mathematics

In summary, the book "God Created the Integers" by Stephen Hawking is a collection of 17 short biographies of mathematicians and their significant works, followed by selections of their original work. The expression "God created the integers, all else is the work of man" is attributed to Kronecker, who was a leading opponent of Cantor. There is also another version of the expression in which God is said to have created the natural numbers. Einstein is known for his famous quote "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest is just details" and may have also expressed frustration with unifying forces.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hawking's got to stop stealing the God expressions from Einstein.

It's good as long as you know what you're buying. Each chapter includes a short biography of the mathematician (17 in total) followed by a brief discussion of their work and its significance. This is then followed by selections of the mathematician's original work, reproduced, which comprises a majority of the book. It is its own contained library of what Hawking believes to be the most significant works in math.

JasonRox said:
Hawking's got to stop stealing the God expressions from Einstein.
the expression "god created the integers, all else is the work of man" is kronecker's. he was one of cantor's leading anagonists.

fourier jr said:
the expression "god created the integers, all else is the work of man" is kronecker's. he was one of cantor's leading anagonists.
I've also seen another version in which he seems to have said that "God created the natural numbers...". I first came across this in a book on number theory by David Burton. Wikipedia seems to agree with you, though.:rolleyes:

einstein said "I want to know God's thoughts,... the rest is just details.." maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Einstein also said "God damn, I'm having a hard time unifying these forces."

*pure conjecture on my part. he may not have said that. but I bet he thought it.

1. What is the title of Stephen Hawking's latest book on mathematics?

The title of Stephen Hawking's latest book on mathematics is "The Grand Design".

2. What is the main focus of "The Grand Design"?

The main focus of "The Grand Design" is to explore the fundamental laws of the universe and how they are described by mathematics.

3. Is "The Grand Design" suitable for readers without a strong background in mathematics?

Yes, "The Grand Design" is written in a way that is accessible to readers without a strong background in mathematics. Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow use everyday language and analogies to explain complex concepts.

4. What are some key topics covered in "The Grand Design"?

Some key topics covered in "The Grand Design" include the history of scientific discoveries, the role of mathematics in understanding the universe, and the concept of the multiverse.

5. How does "The Grand Design" contribute to the field of mathematics?

"The Grand Design" offers a unique perspective on the intersection of mathematics and physics, and presents new ideas and theories that could potentially advance our understanding of the universe and its mathematical laws.