Can this problem be solved using conservation of mass and momentum?

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a spacecraft landing on Mars, specifically the speed and area of the air coming out of the bottom of the craft. The problem involves conservation of mass and momentum equations, and the weight of the craft and fluid speed at one area were given as data on the test. There may be additional terms that need to be included in the calculations.
Physics_wiz
Can this problem be done?

I just took a test with this problem on it (50% of the test grade) but I don't know if it can even be done or not.

We have a spacecraft landing on Mars. The spacecraft is landing "steadily at 1 m/s". It's basically a conic section with a "shell" around it (picture a thick vertical cylinder with inside diameter increasing except that the hollow part is the outside, not inside). It has rotors on the bottom which pull the air through the hollow part and accelerate it and push it out the bottom to balance out the force of gravity on the craft. The speed of the air going in from top and the area of the top hollow part are given. We need to find the speed of the air coming out of the bottom and the area of the hollow part where the air comes out from the bottom.

I don't know if this problem is right or wrong because the area*velocity has to be a constant (conservation of mass), but the area itself doesn't have to be a constant, nor does the velocity.

Conservation of mass:
(pAV)1 = (pAV)2
where p is the desnsity.
The density cancels out and we're left with
(AV)1 = (AV)2
We need one (area or velocity) to solve for the other.

I'm not going to go through everything I did on the test, but just give me your thoughts about this problem.

PS. This is a fluid mechanics class.

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight was given but I never saw those equations you supplied before. I tried using the linear momentum equation but the right hand side (sigma F) was 0 since the craft was moving at a constant velocity, so no acceleration. I guess maybe the partial with respect to time term isn't 0, but that would mean the flow was unsteady.

This seems like a classic one dimension momentum problem. I guess I am a bit confused as to what exactly was given to you as data on the test. From what I can see you were given: Weight of the craft, speed of fluid at one area and the downward speed of the aircraft. Is there anything else that was given?

To be absolutely correct, there would be two P*a terms at the two areas that it looks like you would have to neglect in this case, but should be included in the calculations.

1. Can this problem be solved using existing technology?

The answer to this question depends on the specific problem and the available technology. Some problems may have already been solved using existing technology, while others may require the development of new technology or techniques.

2. Is this problem too complex to be solved?

Complexity is relative and can vary depending on the problem. Some problems may seem too complex to be solved at first, but with careful analysis and innovative thinking, they can be broken down into manageable components and solved.

3. What are the potential challenges in solving this problem?

The challenges in solving a problem can vary greatly. Some common challenges include lack of resources, technical limitations, and time constraints. It is important to thoroughly assess the potential challenges and develop a plan to address them.

4. Will solving this problem have a significant impact?

The impact of solving a problem can also vary depending on the specific problem. Some problems may have a direct and immediate impact, while others may have a more indirect or long-term impact. It is important to consider the potential benefits of solving a problem before devoting resources to it.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to be aware of in solving this problem?

Ethical considerations should always be taken into account when solving a problem. This may include potential harm to individuals or the environment, biased or discriminatory outcomes, or conflicting values and beliefs. It is important to carefully consider and address any ethical concerns in the problem-solving process.