What's more important: your thumb drive or your wallet?

In summary, this woman was very determined to get her master's degree, even if it meant some risky and unconventional methods. She was successful, and now has a good job as a personal trainer. However, she could have avoided all of this by keeping a backup of her thesis.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Could you afford to lose your 'jump' drive?

She found her master’s degree in a trash can
Pretty good thinking and some persistence ... borne out of desparation, of course. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Only one copy of a finished thesis? No backups? They should arrest her for criminal negligence.

Sweet jesus, I always make sure I have a backup even of a 500 word document...

My flash drive is full of mathematica notebooks which i probably could find 4 other copies of in my house or at my university.

Grad school never came easily to Cerniglia, who majored in dance as part of the University of Maryland's Class of 1986, became a personal trainer and returned to the school in her forties for a master's degree in exercise physiology.

Well she obviously wasn't too bright in the first place...

Be back later, going to back up some stuff:redface:

For critical documents, I have a copy on a hard drive, a flash drive, a file server, and two separate email servers (one of them is gmail). It takes no effort to do this.

Pengwuino said:
Well she obviously wasn't too bright in the first place...

Seems a good assessment. :tongue2:

rachmaninoff said:
Only one copy of a finished thesis? No backups? They should arrest her for criminal negligence.
Seriously - have nothing anywhere near that important, and I keep backups!

Ahem.. *cough*

if she only had one copy, then she is not intelligent enough to achieve a Masters. Yeap, those are my 2 cents and don't you dare stealing them :grumpy:

cronxeh said:
Ahem.. *cough*
if she only had one copy, then she is not intelligent enough to achieve a Masters. Yeap, those are my 2 cents and don't you dare stealing them :grumpy:

Well DUH. :tongue2:

cronxeh said:
Ahem.. *cough*
I'd have to agree. Geez, your thesis is the sort of thing where you keep copies of every draft, hard copies, electronic copies, copies on three different forms of media, a copy at home, a copy at the lab, a copy in the car, and you'd risk your life running into a burning building to save it. You'd never leave your only copy on something like a jump drive that could be damaged, and then leave it out of your sight for even a moment (she should have had it on a chain around her neck!) Though, the determination in finding it in a dumpster at Wendy's does make up for it a bit. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I'd have to agree. Geez, your thesis is the sort of thing where you keep copies of every draft, hard copies, electronic copies, copies on three different forms of media, a copy at home, a copy at the lab, a copy in the car, and you'd risk your life running into a burning building to save it. You'd never leave your only copy on something like a jump drive that could be damaged, and then leave it out of your sight for even a moment (she should have had it on a chain around her neck!) Though, the determination in finding it in a dumpster at Wendy's does make up for it a bit. :rolleyes:

:uhh: I should call social services and have Franzbear transferred to some other parents.. I just don't feel he is safe living with you :devil:

cronxeh said:
:uhh: I should call social services and have Franzbear transferred to some other parents.. I just don't feel he is safe living with you :devil:
:cry: No, you can't take my wittle Fwanzbear away! I'd rescue him from a burning building too...even if I was the one to set the fire.

Did you read how she got it back? The credit cards? The interstate?? The dumpster?

I want to find this woman and befriend her - and be very near to her at all times - especially on airline flights.

This woman could sit in her bathtub and drop her toaster in the water - there'd be a city-wide power outage two seconds before.

Someone up there seriously, SERIOUSLY likes her.

Or maybe she made up the whole story?

rachmaninoff said:
Or maybe she made up the whole story?

I'm not sure how inclined police are to join in on publicity stunt hoaxes.

1. What is the purpose of a thumb drive?

A thumb drive, also known as a USB drive or flash drive, is a small portable device used to store and transfer digital data such as documents, photos, and videos.

2. Why is a wallet important?

A wallet is typically used to store physical items such as cash, credit cards, identification cards, and other important documents. It is important for keeping these items safe and organized.

3. Which one is more important, a thumb drive or a wallet?

The importance of a thumb drive or a wallet depends on the individual's needs and circumstances. For example, if you frequently work with digital files and need to transfer them between devices, a thumb drive may be more important. On the other hand, if you often make purchases or need to carry important personal documents with you, a wallet may be more important.

4. Can a thumb drive or a wallet be replaced?

Both a thumb drive and a wallet can be replaced if they are lost or damaged. However, the contents of a thumb drive may not be easily recoverable if it is lost, whereas items in a wallet can be replaced with some effort.

5. How can I keep my thumb drive and wallet safe?

To keep your thumb drive safe, it is important to keep it stored in a secure location and to regularly backup its contents. To keep your wallet safe, it is recommended to keep it close to your body, avoid displaying large amounts of cash, and regularly check for any missing items.