What is the imaginary part of each expression?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary, the imaginary part of each expression is as follows: 1. (1+i)+(1-i) ......0 2. (5+i)+(1+5i) ......6 3. (5+i)-(1-5i) ......6 4. 1+2i+3+4i+5 ......6 5. S=1+\frac{1}{2i}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8i}+\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{32i}+\frac{1}{64}+... using the geometric series: (.5)/(1-.25)=2/3=1/1.5i the imaginary part is
UrbanXrisis
I am supposed to identify the imaginary part (marked in bold) of each expression, just wanted to see if I got them correct:

1. (1+i)+(1-i) ......0
2. (5+i)+(1+5i) ......6
3. (5+i)-(1-5i) ......6
4. 1+2i+3+4i+5 ......6
5. [tex]S=1+\frac{1}{2i}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8i}+\frac{1}{16}+\frac{1}{32i}+\frac{1}{64}+...[/tex]

using the geometric series: (.5)/(1-.25)=2/3=1/1.5i
does this mean the imaginary part is 1.5 since the i is in the denominator? or is it 1.5?

6. a and b are constants
a+bi ......b
7. (a+ib)^2 ......2ab
8. (a+bi)(b+ia) ......a^2+b^2
9. (ia)^3 ......-a^3
10. a(a+i)(a+2i) ......3a^2

are these correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I see it, everything is correct except the 5th one
If the complex number is in the form: a + ib then a is the real part, and b is the imaginary part. You must do something to make it have the form a + ib, i.e i cannot be in the denominator, it must be in the numerator.
Hint:
[tex]\frac{a}{ib} = \frac{ia}{i ^ 2b} = -\frac{ia}{b}[/tex]
Multiply both numerator and denominator by i. :smile:

then it is -1/15?

UrbanXrisis said:
then it is -1/15?
Nope, you should check your answer again.
The first term is -1 / 2, and the common ratio is still 1 / 4.
It should be -2 / 3. Shouldn't it? :smile:

The imaginary part of
[tex]S=1+\frac{1}{2i}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8i}+\frac{1} {16}+\frac{1}{32i}+\frac{1}{64}+...[/tex]
is
[tex]S=\frac{1}{2i}+\frac{1}{8i}+\frac{1}{32i}+...[/tex]
which is indeed, a geometric sequence,
[tex]S= \frac{1}{2i}\left(1+ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{16}+...\right)[/tex]
having sum
[tex]\frac{1}{2i}\frac{1}{1- \frac{1}{4}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2i}\frac{4}{3}= \frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{i}[/tex]
which is what you got. The only question is "what do you do with that 1/i?"

Well, i*i= -1, of course, so i(-i)= -(-1)= 1. -i is the multiplicative inverse of i: 1/i= -i.
[tex]\frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{i}= -\frac{2}{3}i[/tex].

1. What is the imaginary part of a complex number?

The imaginary part of a complex number is the coefficient of the imaginary unit, i, in the number's expression. It is typically denoted by b in the form a + bi where a represents the real part and b represents the imaginary part.

2. How is the imaginary part of a complex number identified?

The imaginary part of a complex number can be identified by isolating the coefficient of the imaginary unit, i, in the number's expression. This can be done by splitting the complex number into its real and imaginary parts and identifying the coefficient of i.

3. Can the imaginary part of a complex number be a negative number?

Yes, the imaginary part of a complex number can be a negative number. This would be represented in the form a - bi where a is the real part and b is the absolute value of the imaginary part.

4. What is the difference between the imaginary part and the real part of a complex number?

The imaginary part of a complex number represents the coefficient of the imaginary unit, i, while the real part represents the coefficient of the real unit, 1. The imaginary part is typically denoted by b while the real part is denoted by a in the form a + bi.

5. How is the imaginary part of a complex number used in mathematics?

The imaginary part of a complex number is used in various mathematical equations and operations, such as in the representation of complex numbers, solving polynomial equations, and in electrical engineering and physics. It also has important applications in fields such as signal processing and quantum mechanics.