Solving the Superposition Problem: Find a3 & Bint

So, a3(r)=(a+b)/2 and Bint=2Bcos[(a-b)/2].In summary, when two harmonic waves are superimposed, the resulting waveform is a sinusoidal wave with an intensity of 2Bcos[(a-b)/2] and a phase of (a+b)/2. The "int" subscript refers to intensity and neither u1 nor u2 depend on time. Using trigonometry, the formula for the resulting waveform can be derived as uint=2B{sin[(a+b)/2]cos[(a-b)/2]}.
FoolishMortal
The superposition of two harmonic waves:
u1 = B * sin( a1(r) )
u2 = B * sin( a2(r) )
results in a sinusoidal wave of the form:
uint = Bint * sin( a3(r) )
Find a3 and Bint

I'm not sure what to do. I can't think of any way to get it into that "form". http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Interference.html (5) on that link gives the form I would expect.
I think the "int" subscript is talking about intensity, and I'm not sure but I don't think either u1 or u2 depend on time.
Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use your high school trig (ugh).
uint=u1+u2=B[sin(a)+sin(b)]=2B{sin[(a+b)/2]cos[(a-b)/2]}
if I remembered it right.

1. What is the superposition problem?

The superposition problem refers to the difficulty in determining the individual values of two or more overlapping variables in a system.

2. Why is solving the superposition problem important?

Solving the superposition problem is important in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering where understanding the individual contributions of different variables is crucial for accurate predictions and analysis.

3. What is a3 and Bint?

a3 and Bint are variables that represent the individual values of two overlapping variables in a system. a3 is the value of the first variable and Bint is the value of the second variable.

4. How do you solve the superposition problem?

To solve the superposition problem, one must use mathematical techniques such as linear algebra or calculus to isolate the individual values of the overlapping variables.

5. Can the superposition problem always be solved?

No, the superposition problem may not always have a unique solution. In some cases, the overlapping variables may be dependent on each other and cannot be separated, making it impossible to determine their individual values.