Solving Nonlinear First Order Differential Equations | Methods and Techniques

In summary, this is a conversation about a diff eqn that is nonlinear and has both dependant and independant variables. It is a first order equation and is not solvable using standard methods. However, if somebody knows of a method to solving it, they are welcome to let the speaker know. The conversation also discusses the Fourier transform of the equation and how it can be solved using Euler's formula.
danmag
Hi,
As far as I know this is a first order, nonlinear diff eqn with both dependant and independant variables...so it is not solvable??

y'+ay^2 = bx

If anybody knows if there is a method to solving it, please let me know.

Thanks,
danmag
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a Ricatti diff eqn. Its like the Bernouilli equation, but with nonhomogenous parts (its a bit of a pain if I recall right, you need to do some guessing).

But anyway make the substitution v = 1/y and go from there.

As Haelfix mentioned, it's a Riccati equation of the form:

[tex]y^{'}+Q(x)y+R(x)y^2=P(x)[/tex]

So use the standard approach:

[tex]y=\frac{u^{'}}{Ru}[/tex]

to convert it to a second-order ODE with variable coefficients. This then can be solved via power series or just bust it up directly with Airy functions (equal . . . nevermind).:rolleyes:

Know what, this turned out to be a quagmire. But very interesting nevertheless. For example:

1. What is the relationship between the power-series solution of the reduced Riccati equation:

[tex]u^{''}-abxu=0[/tex]

and the solution expressed in terms of Airy functions?

(not easy)

2. Using the solutions above, how then does one proceed to solve an IVP for the original Riccati equation:

[tex]y^{'}+ay^{2}=bx,\quad y(0)=a[/tex]

(just barely)

3. What is the relationship between the Airy function expressed in terms of a hypergeometric series and the integral expression for the Airy function:

[tex]Ai(x)=\frac{1}{3^{2/3}\Gamma(2/3)} F_1(2/3,z^3/9)-\frac{z}{3^{1/3}\Gamma(1/3)}F_1(4/3,z^3/9)[/tex]

[tex]Ai(x)=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^{\infty}Cos[t^3/3+xt]dt[/tex]

(not even close)

See . . . quagmire.

Last edited:
More complex contours:

So I reduce the equation down to:

[tex]u^{''}-axy=0[/tex]

Now, consider the Fourier Transform of u(x):

[tex]g(\xi)=\mathcal{F}\left\{u\right\}=
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx[/tex]

So I'll take the Fourier transform of the DE and noting:

[tex]\mathcal{F}\left\{xu(x)\right\}=i\frac{dg}{d\xi}[/tex]

I obtain:

[tex]-\xi^2 g-ia\frac{dg}{d\xi}=0[/tex]

That's a piece of cake to solve and yields:

[tex]g(\xi)=Ce^{i(\xi^3/(3ai)}[/tex]

Now, inverting the transform:

[tex]u(x)=\frac{C}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(\xi^3/(3a)+\xi x)}d\xi[/tex]

That's close. :smile: Looks like I can just split up the integral via Euler's formula to get a Cos and iSin. That might be all there is to it but need to check . . .

Last edited:

1. What is a nonlinear first order equation?

A nonlinear first order equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first derivative, where the function is not proportional to its derivative. This means that the equation cannot be solved using traditional methods and requires more advanced techniques.

2. What are some examples of nonlinear first order equations?

Some examples of nonlinear first order equations include the logistic equation, the Bernoulli equation, and the Lotka-Volterra equations. These equations are commonly used in fields such as biology, economics, and physics to model complex systems and phenomena.

3. How do you solve a nonlinear first order equation?

Solving a nonlinear first order equation involves finding the functional form of the equation, which can be done using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The exact method used depends on the specific equation and its properties.

4. What are the applications of nonlinear first order equations?

Nonlinear first order equations have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical systems, biological processes, and economic systems, and are essential in understanding complex phenomena such as chaos and bifurcations.

5. What are the challenges of working with nonlinear first order equations?

One of the main challenges of working with nonlinear first order equations is that they are often difficult or impossible to solve analytically. This means that numerical methods must be used to approximate solutions, which can be time-consuming and require advanced computational techniques. Additionally, nonlinear equations can exhibit complex behavior, making it challenging to interpret and analyze their solutions.