How Do Sign Conventions Affect Calculations in Spherical Mirrors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the sign conventions in an optics course and provides examples of how to calculate focal length, image position, and magnifications for a spherical concave mirror and equi-convex lenses. The experts also verify the accuracy of the calculations and offer additional tips for checking results.
alfredbester
Hi,

Doing an optics course I'm getting a bit confused about sign the conventions at time, can somebody check my answers here?

A spherical concave mirror of radius, R= 100mm has a real object placed at an axial distance So from its vertex.

Q1 Obtain the focal length of the mirror

1/ f = -2/R => f = -R/2 = -(-100mm)/2 = 50 mm right?

Q2 If an object is placed at a distance (i) Object distance, So = 200mm and then (ii) So = 20mm find the image positions, whether they are real or virtual and there magnifications.

(i) 1/Si = 1/f - 1/So = 1/50 - 1/200 = 150/10000 mm^-1. Si = image distance
M = -Si/So = -(10000/150 mm) / (200 mm) = -1/3

So the image is real, 67mm to the right of the mirror and is inverted and minified by a factor of 1/3.

(ii) 1/Si = 1/f - 1/So = 1/50 - 1/20 = - 30/1000 mm^-1
M = -Si/So = -(-1000/30 mm) / (20 mm) = 5/3

So the image is virtual, 33mm to the left of the mirror and is erect and magnified by a factor of 5/3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also.
An object is placed 5 cm from a thin equi-convex lens of focal length 4cm. Another thin equi-convex lens is placed on the same axis as the first and 9cm away from it, on the side further from the object. It has a focal length of 5cm.

(i) Find the position of the image. Is the image real

A: The image will be formed 3.475 cm to the right of lens 2 (therefore it's real ), or 17.475cm to the right of the object.

(ii) What are the magnifications of the intermediate and final image.

A: M(int) = -Si1/So1 = -(20cm)/(5cm) = -4
M(2) = -(Si2)/(So2) = -(55/16)/(-11) = 0.3125
M(tot) = M(int).M(2) = -1.25

Would appreciate somebody telling me it's all correct as well as pointing out any mistakes.

Bump. I take it nobody does optics then.

alfredbester said:
Hi,

Doing an optics course I'm getting a bit confused about sign the conventions at time, can somebody check my answers here?

A spherical concave mirror of radius, R= 100mm has a real object placed at an axial distance So from its vertex.

Q1 Obtain the focal length of the mirror

1/ f = -2/R => f = -R/2 = -(-100mm)/2 = 50 mm right?

Q2 If an object is placed at a distance (i) Object distance, So = 200mm and then (ii) So = 20mm find the image positions, whether they are real or virtual and there magnifications.

(i) 1/Si = 1/f - 1/So = 1/50 - 1/200 = 150/10000 mm^-1. Si = image distance
M = -Si/So = -(10000/150 mm) / (200 mm) = -1/3

So the image is real, 67mm to the right of the mirror and is inverted and minified by a factor of 1/3.

(ii) 1/Si = 1/f - 1/So = 1/50 - 1/20 = - 30/1000 mm^-1
M = -Si/So = -(-1000/30 mm) / (20 mm) = 5/3

So the image is virtual, 33mm to the left of the mirror and is erect and magnified by a factor of 5/3.

This looks right to me. the signs are ok. A quick check with a ray diagram agrees qualitatively with your results too. (it`s useful to know how to draw ray diagrams to check results like this).

Pat

1. What is a spherical mirror?

A spherical mirror is a type of curved mirror that has a spherical shape. It can either be a concave mirror, which curves inward like a cave, or a convex mirror, which curves outward like a hill.

2. How do spherical mirrors work?

Spherical mirrors work by reflecting light rays. Concave mirrors reflect light rays inward, causing them to converge at a focal point. Convex mirrors, on the other hand, reflect light rays outward, causing them to diverge.

3. What are the differences between a concave and convex spherical mirror?

The main difference between a concave and convex spherical mirror is the way they reflect light. Concave mirrors reflect light inward and can produce real or virtual images, while convex mirrors reflect light outward and can only produce virtual images.

4. What are the applications of spherical mirrors?

Spherical mirrors have various applications in different fields. Concave mirrors are commonly used in telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors, while convex mirrors are used in security cameras, car side mirrors, and makeup mirrors. They are also used in optical instruments such as microscopes and projectors.

5. What is the difference between a spherical mirror and a parabolic mirror?

The main difference between a spherical mirror and a parabolic mirror is their shape. Spherical mirrors have a curved surface with a constant radius of curvature, while parabolic mirrors have a curved surface with a varying radius of curvature. This allows parabolic mirrors to focus light rays at a single point, making them ideal for use in devices such as satellite dishes and solar cookers.