Who Will Win the Academy Awards? Post Your Guesses!

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: I'm looking forward to seeing what else he does in the future. Ang Lee was a strong contender for the award, but I think the voters went with Hoffman. I'm not sure if I agree with their decision, but it's their choice. Michelle Williams was good in her supporting role, but I didn't think she was great. I thought Reese Witherspoon was good in her role, but I didn't think it was her best performance. I thought she was very one-dimensional and I didn't really care about her character. I was a little disappointed with the nominations this year.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Who wins? Who loses?
Post your guesses! :smile:
Here's a list of the nominees:
http://www.oscar.com/nominees/list.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crash- best picture
Reese Witherspoon- Best Actress
Philip Seymore Hoffman- Best Actor
Matt Dillon- Best supporting actor

Michelle Williams-actress in supporting role
Ang Lee-directing

Ang Lee directing

Philip Seymore Hoffman for actor in a leading role.

Nope to Reese Witherspoon... :)

I can't speak about the others since i have not seen all the pictures/performances that were nominated.

marlon

I really hope that "The Constant Gardener" gets a prize or two, say for adapted screenplay.

As for documentaries, although I haven't seen it, I believe that "March of the Penguins" will get the award.

arildno said:
As for documentaries, although I haven't seen it, I believe that "March of the Penguins" will get the award.
I have seen that documentary and i assure you it is great. I also think it will win the oscar.

i saw the constant gardener too but i did not really like it.

marlon

I'm not guessing what will win, but what I would vote for.

Actor in a leading role: Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote

Actor in a supporting role: George Clooney in Syriana

Actress in a leading role: Charlize Theron in North Country

Actress in a supporting role: Catherine Keener in Capote

Animated Feature: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Art Direction: King Kong

Cinematography: Good Night, and Good Luck

Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha

Directing: Brokeback Mountain

Documentary Feature: Murderball

Film Editing: Cinderella Man

Makeup: Revenge of the Sith

Score: Brokeback Mountain

Best Picture: Capote

Sound Editing: War of the Worlds

Sound Mixing: War of the Worlds

Visual Effects: King Kong

Adapted Screeplay: Capote

Original Screenplay: The Squid and the Whale

Well, they agreed with me on six of the awards. The only real complaints are Rachel Weisz for supporting actress (very small part, very one-dimensional, good enough but unchallenging role) and Crash for best picture and screenplay, especially the screenplay win. I thought the movie was terribly sensationalistic and gave a very narrow view of race relations in Los Angeles, like a series of news bites. I prefer depth to breadth, and real plot structure to cheap literary devices. Sorry to anyone that liked that film, but I was very unimpressed with it. I don't generally like pontificational movies that try to tell you what to think. I will say this for it: it was full of terrific scenes, and did have some good performances from the ensemble, especially Terence Howard and Michael Pena.

Oh well. The only award I really cared about was best actor. Philip Seymour Hoffman has been one of my favorite actors for a long time now and I'm glad to see him getting some recognition. I was thrilled when I first saw the Capote trailer to see that he had finally gotten a leading role. Not surprisingly, he nailed it.

What are the top 5 categories at the Academy Awards?

The top 5 categories at the Academy Awards are Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor/Actress.

Who are the top contenders for Best Picture at the Academy Awards?

The top contenders for Best Picture at the Academy Awards are usually a mix of critically acclaimed films and box office hits, but it ultimately depends on the nominations and voting process.

How are winners determined at the Academy Awards?

The winners at the Academy Awards are determined by a voting process where members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences vote for their favorite nominees in each category.

What are some potential upsets at the Academy Awards?

There are always potential upsets at the Academy Awards as it is impossible to predict how the voting will go. However, some films or actors that were expected to win may not take home the award due to unexpected competition.

Who has the most Academy Awards nominations and wins?

The person with the most Academy Awards nominations is Walt Disney with 59 nominations and the person with the most wins is John Williams with 25 wins.