Help with homework problems please

But I think it is not the case here. You should definitely do some reading and thinking before asking for help.In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a cannon that is mounted 50m away from the edge of a cliff. The goal is to find the angle of elevation needed for the cannon projectile to land closest to the cliff face from the plain below. The conversation includes a discussion of resolving the velocity vector into its x and y components, using kinematic equations, and the importance of understanding the fundamentals before seeking help.
PreDeadMan123
Help with homework problems please!

A cannon is mounted 50m away from the edge of a cliff that drops 10m to the plain below. If the cannon projecticle is fired with an initial velocity of 75 m/sec find the angle of elevation so that the shell lands closest to the cliff face from the plane below.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please show some working and / or intial thoughts. In addition we have a section dedicated to homework or coursework questions.

~H

Note to mentors: please move to Intro Physics

i have no clue i am new to physics this is hard as heck so many formulas but.. ah could someone explain to me how to do this I'm confused

Basically, you can split the velocity into two components, one vertical (in the y-direction), and one horizontal (in the x-direction). The projectile is fired at an angle, therefore we need to resolve the velocity vector into it's x and y components. If we let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle of elevation above the horizontal the x and y components are;

[tex]v_{x} = 75\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]v_{y} = 75\sin\theta[/tex]

Vertical motion is independant of horizontal motion. Using kinematic equations can you find an expression for the time of flight of the projectile? HINT: Just consider vertical motion.

~H

ah I am just to confused which formula do i use?

PreDeadMan123 said:
i have no clue i am new to physics this is hard as heck so many formulas but.. ah could someone explain to me how to do this I'm confused

Itis very very difficult to cover stuff from the ground up on such a forum. We can not replace your teacher or textbook. There is only so much that can be done here. The best way to use the homework section is to learn most of the material in class or in a book in order to learn and understand the fundamentals. Then, if you are stuck on a specific issue or calculation, people can help efficiently.

What is the best way to approach a difficult homework problem?

The best way to approach a difficult homework problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by reading the problem carefully and identifying the key concepts and information. Then, try solving the problem one step at a time, making sure to check your work and understanding along the way.

How can I find help with my homework problems?

There are several resources you can use to find help with your homework problems. You can ask your teacher or classmates for assistance, use online resources such as educational websites or forums, or seek out a tutor or mentor for one-on-one help.

What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject or type of problem?

If you are struggling with a particular subject or type of problem, it is important to communicate with your teacher and seek additional help. You can also try different learning strategies, such as practicing with similar problems or finding real-world applications for the subject.

How can I manage my time effectively to complete my homework problems?

To manage your time effectively when completing homework problems, it is important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule. Make sure to set aside dedicated time for homework each day and break up larger assignments into smaller, more manageable chunks.

What resources are available to help me understand a difficult concept?

There are many resources available to help you understand difficult concepts. You can use textbooks, online tutorials, educational videos, or seek help from a teacher or tutor. It may also be helpful to practice with similar problems and ask for clarification when needed.