Centroid formula homework help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the centroid of a figure using a formula, but the person is getting a different answer from the one provided in the book. After realizing a mistake in the region of integration, they still end up with a different answer than the book. There is a discussion about using a double integral and the use of intelligence to deduce the x-coordinate of the centroid. Ultimately, the person concludes that the x-coordinate of the centroid is 0 due to symmetry.
suspenc3
Ok, I think I've figured this out but the book gives me different answer for my x value:

[tex]y=4-x^2[/tex] [tex]y=0[/tex]

[tex]A= \int_0^2(4-x^2)dx[/tex] A=16/3

[tex]x bar= \frac{3}{16}\int_0^2 x(4-x^2)dx[/tex]

and this comes out to 3/4..The book says 0 for the X-value...where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your region goes from -2 to 2 on the x-axis, not 0 to 2.

ohhhhhh ya..good poinT.

but won't that give me A=0?

Well...

[tex]
A = \int\limits_{ - 2}^2 {\left( {4 - x^2 } \right)dx} = \left[ {4x - \frac{{x^3 }}{3}} \right]_{ - 2}^2 = \left( {8 - \frac{8}{3}} \right) - \left( { - 8 + \frac{8}{3}} \right) \ne 0
[/tex]

BTW since you're finding the centroid of a 2D solid shouldn't you use a double integral? Or is there some sort of formula that you're already using.

Alternatively, you can deduce the x-coordinate of the centroid by symmetry.

oh..ok..No there is a formula..Find A..and then the X and Y coordinates

Yes, there is a formula: but that doesn't mean you can't use your intelligence!

The "centroid" of a figure is the geometric center. Since you figure is symmetric about the y-axis, obviously the centroid must be on that axis: the x coordinate of the centroid is 0.

1. What is the centroid formula?

The centroid formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the center point, or centroid, of a two-dimensional shape. It takes into account the coordinates of all the points in the shape and finds the average of those coordinates to determine the center point.

2. How do I use the centroid formula?

To use the centroid formula, you will need to know the coordinates of all the points in the shape. Then, plug those coordinates into the formula and solve for the centroid point. The formula is: (x̄, ȳ) = (1/n) * (∑x, ∑y), where n is the number of points, ∑x is the sum of all x-coordinates, and ∑y is the sum of all y-coordinates.

3. What types of shapes can the centroid formula be used for?

The centroid formula can be used for any two-dimensional shape, including triangles, rectangles, circles, and irregular polygons. It can also be extended to three-dimensional shapes, but the formula becomes more complex.

4. Can the centroid formula be used for shapes with holes?

Yes, the centroid formula can still be used for shapes with holes. You will need to break the shape into smaller, non-overlapping shapes and find the centroid of each one. Then, use those centroids to find the overall centroid of the shape.

5. What is the significance of the centroid in geometry?

The centroid is an important point in geometry as it represents the center of mass or balance point of a shape. It is also used in many engineering and architectural applications to determine the stability and strength of structures.