Entropy (Disorder): Increase/Decrease?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and how it relates to the increase or decrease of disorder in a system. The examples given are the sublimation of dry ice, freezing of water, and increasing pressure over Nitrogen gas above water. The answers provided are: 1) increase in disorder 2) decrease in disorder 3) increase in disorder.
quantumlight
i got this question in my chem review worksheet

State if the following increases or decreases the disorder of a system?

1) sublimation of dry ice
2) freezing of water
3) increasing pressure over Nitrogen gas that is above water

i put

1) increase
2) decrease
3) increase

Physics news on Phys.org
quantumlight said:

2) freezing of water

i put

1) increase
2) decrease
3) increase
I am not sure what is meant by "disorder". Are you taking this to be synonymous with "entropy"?

It is a little unclear what the system is in these three examples. If the system includes the environment in which these things occur, then the answer is that Entropy increases in all three. For example, the freezing of water can occur in a freezer in which heat is pumped out of the water and into a hot reservoir. If the system includes the hot reservoir, entropy increases.

AM

According to what I understand is the definition entropy all 3 of your answers are right, but I never actually studied entropy in chemistry (no thermodynamics for me :( ). So don't be supprised If I'm wrong and hence you're wrong.

Edit:

Andrew Mason said:
For example, the freezing of water can occur in a freezer in which heat is pumped out of the water and into a hot reservoir. If the system includes the hot reservoir, entropy increases.

AM

The entropy of the whole system there would increase, but the entropy of the ice itself (which I think is what is being asked) would decrease.

(Again this is just from what I understand the definition of entropy is, so if I'm wrong could you please explain if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
right now the chapter I am doing is "solutions, colloids and solubility of different substances" its talking about how some solutions that doesn't hav much of an energy difference still spontaneously dissociate and that is because of the disorder that accompanies such an action

quantumlight said:

2) freezing of water

i put

1) increase
2) decrease
3) increase
If we assume that the system is just what is mentioned...ie sublimation of dry ice or freezing of water, then it is probably easiest to look at entropy the macroscopic way. The statatiscal microscopic way is the way where the disorder phrase makes more sense ussually.

All you have to do look at whether heat is being released or taken in.
1)Sublimation of dry ice takes in heat so its entropy increases.
2) Water when it freezes gives off heat, so entropy decreases.
3) When the pressure is increased we assume it adiabatic so no heat is added. Also [tex]N_2[/tex] is hardly soluble. However, the change in entropy is a statefunction. You can look at the process as two steps, isothermal compression, then adding heat. The key word is adding so yes it increases.

thnx why is there an at least 10 letter limit?

So people can't spam or something, I guess.

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to disorder?

Entropy is a scientific concept that measures the level of disorder or randomness in a system. In simple terms, it refers to the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work in a system.

2. Why does entropy increase over time?

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This is because natural processes tend to move towards a state of maximum disorder.

3. Can entropy ever decrease?

While entropy of a closed system will always increase, the entropy of a specific part of the system can decrease if energy is added to it. However, this decrease in entropy will always be accompanied by a larger increase in entropy elsewhere in the system.

4. How is entropy related to the arrow of time?

The increase of entropy in a closed system is directly related to the arrow of time. As time moves forward, the disorder and randomness in a system will naturally increase, leading to an overall increase in entropy.

5. How does entropy impact the behavior of physical systems?

Entropy plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and stability of physical systems. It can affect processes such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and phase changes. In systems with higher entropy, there is less order and predictability, making it more difficult to control and manipulate.