What is the Law of Multiple Proportions?

In summary: in summary, the problem is asking for a formula for carbon suboxide and the student is not sure if it should be derived from the last problem or not.
ncr7
Hey,

I guess I posted this in the wrong string first I didn't notic the homework helper until after I put it in the chem forum.

I have a question... it is actually from my homework. I am trying to figure out what exactly this problem is wanting. I am thinking a proportion of Carbon and Oxygen.

2.35)
In addition to Carbon Monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2), there is a third compound of carbon and oxygen called carbon suboxide. If a 2.500g sample of carbon suboxide contains 1.32g of C and 1.18g of O, show that the law of multiple proportions is followed.

I have been working on this for a good portion of the day and I can't seem to figure out what it really wants. It also confuses me why they would put Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide with it unless it has something to do with the problem. Unless it is just extra information. first I was thinking of doing 1.32g/1.18g to get the ratio for carbon suboxide. I am not sure if that is what they are asking for though.

The next problem I have to do is

2.37)
What is a possible formula for carbon suboxide (problem 2.35)?

I am thinking they are wanting C3O2 but I guess I need to show I got that from the last problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
CO and CO2 don't have much relevance for this problem, to solve the problem you need to be concerned with the stoichiometry of carbon suboxide.

First, state the law of multiple proportions, it's a simple theory. Then show your approach for the solution to this problem.

well the law of multiple proportions is Elements can combine in different ways to form different substances, whos mass ratios are small whole-number multiples of each other. there is an example in the book that shows there are twice as many atoms of O in NO2 than NO. They use the law of multiple proportions for showing this. The reason I am getting confused is because for all the examples in this book are showing the difference between different elements and with this problem it is just showing one. I have gotten as far as

carbon suboxide: C:O mass ratio = 1.32g C/1.18g O = 1.12

after that I am lost... I have had a long day after having Calc 2 and then trying to get this homework done and study for my chem quiz and chem lab safty quiz tomorrow. I have a feeling it is going to be a long night lol.

Well, it's similar to the example with NO and NO2.

You are told the mass ratio of the suboxide - it's 1.12. Can you now calculate the mass ratios in CO and CO2 as well (using the atomic masses)? What numbers do you get?

Now compare these 3 numbers.

Ok here is what I got out of Recitation from my Chem TA

1.12 = 28/25

28 is similar to 25 so he is saying it is more or less 50/50

so

CxOy… we know that the amu for C is about 12, and the amu for O is about 16

12x = 16y

12(3) = 16(2)

36 is approximately 34

so the outcome is C3O2Also another way to do it is

1.32g * ((1 C atom)/(12.0107amu)) * (1amu/1.66x10^-24 g) = 6.6206x10^22

1.18g * ((1 O atom)/(15.9994amu)) * (1amu/1.66x10^-24 g) = 4.4429x10^22

take 6.6/4.4 = 3/2 ratio

finally getting

C3O2

Yuck! :yuck: That first part is completely wrong! The second bit is correct, but it is still quite badly done and itdoes not answer the question - it does not demonstrate the validity of the law of multiple proportions.

I'll try and undo the havoc your TA has wreaked upon your class when I next get a longish break.

Last edited:
yeah it was really hard to understand how that worked. Your help would be very much appreciated :u)

What is the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is a fundamental principle in chemistry that states that when two elements combine to form more than one compound, the mass of one element that combines with a fixed mass of the other element can be expressed as a ratio of small whole numbers.

Who discovered the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions was first proposed by the English chemist John Dalton in the early 19th century.

How does the Law of Multiple Proportions relate to the atomic theory?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is closely related to the atomic theory, as it provides evidence for the existence of discrete, indivisible particles (atoms) that combine to form compounds in fixed ratios. It also supports the idea that atoms of different elements have different masses and can combine in different proportions to form different compounds.

What experiments support the Law of Multiple Proportions?

Several experiments, including those performed by Dalton himself, support the Law of Multiple Proportions. These experiments involve the analysis of different compounds and the determination of the ratios of elements present in each compound.

What is the significance of the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is significant because it provides a basis for understanding the composition of compounds and the behavior of atoms in chemical reactions. It also supports the concept of atomic mass and the development of the periodic table of elements.