About Singular and Symmetric Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that A is a square matrix and the conditions for when AA^T and A^2 are singular and symmetric, respectively. The individual asking for help is not sure if the statement is always true or sometimes false and is seeking hints to solve the problem. They are also given a hint about checking for symmetry in matrices.
jack1234
I would like to know the statement is always true or sometimes false, and what is the reason:
A is a square matrix
P/S: I denote transpose A as A^T
1)If AA^T is singular, then so is A;
2)If A^2 is symmetric, then so is A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? What have you tried?

This is not homework, I just want to practise more.
About the question, I have no hint whether the statement is correct or false.
Can you give me some hint so i can start solving this problem?

Ok, if AB is singular, can you say anything about A or B? Also, when checking if a matrix is symmetric, the natural thing to do is look at its transpose.

EDIT: Sorry, I read your second question backwards (ie, to show A^2 is symmetric if A is). As a hint for your actual question, note that the zero matrix is symmetric.

Last edited:

1. What is a singular matrix?

A singular matrix is a square matrix that does not have an inverse. This means that it cannot be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix, which is a matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

2. How do you identify a singular matrix?

A matrix is singular if its determinant is equal to 0. The determinant is a scalar value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix and is used to determine if the matrix has an inverse or not.

3. What is the significance of a singular matrix?

A singular matrix has no inverse, which means that it cannot be used to solve certain types of equations. In addition, it can cause problems in calculations such as finding eigenvalues or performing matrix operations.

4. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its transpose. This means that the elements above the main diagonal are equal to the elements below the main diagonal. This property makes it easier to perform calculations on symmetric matrices.

5. Can a matrix be both singular and symmetric?

Yes, a matrix can be both singular and symmetric. In fact, a symmetric matrix can only be singular if its determinant is equal to 0, meaning it does not have an inverse. However, not all singular matrices are symmetric.