Optimizing Lever Mechanics for Lifting Heavy Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a young boy wants to lift a boulder using a lever and fulcrum. The boy weighs 50kg and the boulder has a mass of 2500kg. The conversation also mentions the use of torque and principles of levers. Ultimately, the solution is to set the boy's torque equal to the boulder's torque to find the length of the lever needed. One member suggests a solution of 30 meters, which is confirmed by another member.
Kogsug
I can't figure this problem out and i don't know where to start.

A young boy(50kg) wants to lift a boulder with a mass of 2500kg. He can wedge a board under it so that from the boulder to a pivot/fulcrum is 0.6 meters. How long does the other end of the board have to be for the boy to lift the boulder.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What principles apply here? (See, this is why you should use the Homework Posting Template that is provided when you start a new homework thread. It should not be considered optional.)

Tell us what you know about levers and fulcrums and maybe even torques. You must show us your work in order to get our help (PF rules).

you know your origin, right?
does it make sense that if you set the persons torque equal to the boulder's torque you would be able to solve this problem?

what do u mean what principles apply here? this is the full problem word for word. we just started levers... and we have not done torgue.

does this work?

(B)(x)=(0.6m)(load)

(50kg)(x)=(0.6m)(2500kg)

x={(0.6m)(2500kg)}/(50kg)

so x=30 meters?

can somone please tell me if this is right?

Last edited:
Looks good to me.

ok then... thank you

1. What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that is supported at a fixed point, called the fulcrum, and has a load or resistance on one side and an effort or force on the other side.

2. How does a lever work?

A lever works by using the principle of torque, or rotational force. The force applied to one end of the lever is multiplied and transmitted to the other end, allowing for objects to be moved or lifted with less effort.

3. What are the three types of levers?

The three types of levers are first-class, second-class, and third-class levers. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is located between the effort and the load. In a second-class lever, the load is located between the fulcrum and the effort. In a third-class lever, the effort is located between the fulcrum and the load.

4. What are some examples of levers in everyday life?

Some examples of levers in everyday life include seesaws, scissors, pliers, and wheelbarrows. The human body also uses levers, such as the bones and muscles in our arms and legs, to move and lift objects.

5. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a lever?

The mechanical advantage of a lever can be calculated by dividing the distance from the fulcrum to the effort by the distance from the fulcrum to the load. This ratio represents how much the force is multiplied or reduced by using the lever.