Integrating with Velocity: A Question of Correctness

• Thread starter Fallen Seraph
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a procedure for finding the value of v using the equation a=-kx. The steps involve multiplying both sides by v, rearranging the equation, and integrating with respect to t. The question arises about whether or not v can be treated as a constant in the integration step. The solution is provided, using the identity \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dt} \left( \left(\frac{dx}{dt} \right)^2 \right) to integrate and find the final value of v.
Fallen Seraph
Sorry for the undescriptive title, but I couldn't think of a better one.

My question is essentially this: is the following procedure correct?

a=-kx and we want v.

Multiply both sides by v to get:

[tex] \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} * \frac {dx} {dt} = -kx *\frac {dx} {dt} [/tex]

Now, by dt, and some rearranging :

[tex] (\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} dt) * \frac {dx} {dt} = -kx *dx [/tex]

And the step which I'm not convinced can be done:

[tex]( \int \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} dt) * \frac {dx} {dt} = -k \int x *dx [/tex]

and so we end up with v^2 = -(kx^2)/2 +c which is but an errant 1/2 away from what I need.

I just don't trust integrating a wrt t, while having a v just sitting there as if it were a constant. The only reason that I haven't already disregarded it is that it checks out if you analyse the dimensions...

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's not right. As you mention, you're treating v as a constant, and it isn't.

You started out right, you just need to rewrite:

[tex] \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} * \frac {dx} {dt} [/tex]

as:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dt} \left( \left(\frac{dx}{dt} \right)^2 \right)[/tex],

then integrate.

Wow, quite the nifty identity. Thanks a lot for that help.

1. What is the importance of choosing what's integrated in a scientific study?

The integration of different factors and variables is crucial in a scientific study because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon. It also helps in identifying relationships and patterns that may not be apparent when studying each factor separately.

2. How do I determine which factors to integrate in my study?

Choosing what's integrated in a study should be based on the research question and objectives. Identify the key variables that are relevant to your study and consider how they may interact with each other. It's also important to review existing literature and consult with other experts in the field.

3. What are the potential challenges of integrating multiple factors in a study?

One potential challenge is the complexity of analysis and interpretation. When integrating multiple factors, it may be difficult to isolate the effect of each individual factor. Additionally, there may be limitations in data availability or validity for certain variables. Careful planning and methodology can help mitigate these challenges.

4. Can I still draw valid conclusions if I don't integrate all relevant factors in my study?

While it's ideal to integrate all relevant factors in a study, it may not always be possible. In such cases, it's important to acknowledge the limitations of the study and clearly state which factors were not integrated. This allows for a more accurate interpretation of the results and can guide future research.

5. How can I ensure the integration of factors is done accurately in my study?

It's important to have a clear and well-defined research question and objectives before integrating factors in a study. Careful planning and design of the study can also help ensure accurate integration. Additionally, it's important to use appropriate statistical methods and carefully analyze the results to accurately interpret the data.