Is Rain Water Beneficial for Plant Growth?

In summary, rain water is considered "soft" water and is highly oxygenated and usually of a neutral PH. It is also void of the chemicals found in treated water. Plants love it, I collect it for my indoor plants, and use it to rinse my hair.
pivoxa15
Some time again, my neighbour told me that rain water is better for the plants than tap water. Is this true? Both tap and rain water come from open sourse such as rivers or paddocks. Tap water has been treated and cleaned. But I guess rain water is pure H20 since heavier elements could not evaoprate. Is that way rain water is better for plants? Does rain water contain more mixtures of nitrogen compounds mixed in it? If so does that help as plants need the nitrogen but cannot absorb it directly from the air.

Biology news on Phys.org
Rain water is considered "soft" water. Void of the chemicals found in treated water. Its also highly oxygenated and normally of a neutral PH. Plants love it, I collect it for my indoor plants, and use it to rinse my hair.
Durring the summer my rain barrel{50 gal} fills up quickly, my veggie garden does much better sense I've started useing rain water.

This artical may be worth a read.
http://www.globalchange.umich.edu/g...ing/water_nitro/water_and_nitrogen_cycles.htm

Last edited:
Would you drink it? I once say in a public park, a tap leading to a barrel of rain water. It had a sign saying 'Do not drink'. I wonder why. It seems they only use it for toilet flushing and washing purposes. Is it the case that it's better for plants but worse for humans. How come?

I have drank fresh rain water, with no ill effects. But after it sat for a while in a barrel not sanitized, or sealed correctly, I wouldn't drink from it. Bacteria, micro-organisms or larva may also be calling it home. Yet it still would be fine for plants.
You would also want to avoid rain water if you live in a highly industral area, the rain can pick up chemical laden soot from the factories.

Last edited:
dont forget that rainwater picks up a good amount of CO2 in the air, along with other pollutants(they're everywhere now, thank you very much mr. industrial revolution) and may lower the pH.

Rain water is normally not quite saturated in CO2, and has a pH of around 6 in the absence of atmospheric pollutants. This effect is separate from the phenomenon of acid rain, where industrial pollutants such as sulfur dioxide dissolve in rain water and lower its pH drastically

whether or not this has an adverse effect on people or plants or even hair is up to someone else to find out if anyone cares.

1. Is rain water better for plants than tap water?

Yes, rain water is often considered better for plants because it is naturally filtered and free of chemicals that may be present in tap water. It also contains beneficial minerals that can promote plant growth.

2. How does rain water benefit plants?

Rain water is naturally acidic, which helps to break down minerals in the soil and make them more available to plants. It also contains nitrogen, an essential nutrient for plant growth.

3. Can I collect and use rain water for my plants?

Yes, you can collect rain water and use it for your plants. Just make sure to use a clean container to collect the water and avoid using water collected from roofs or other surfaces that may contain pollutants.

4. Is there a specific time or frequency for watering plants with rain water?

It is best to water plants in the morning with rain water, as this allows the water to reach the roots before the heat of the day. As for frequency, it depends on the type of plant and its water needs, but as a general rule, it is better to water deeply and infrequently rather than frequently with small amounts of water.

5. Can rain water harm plants?

In most cases, rain water will not harm plants. However, if there is an excessive amount of rainfall, it can lead to waterlogged soil and root rot. It is important to monitor the amount of rain water your plants receive and adjust watering accordingly.