Simple question about setting fire to acetone

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of acetone as an alternative fuel for a lightweight alcohol stove. Some considerations mentioned are the vapor pressure, boiling point, and solvent properties of acetone, as well as its flammability and compatibility with certain materials. The use of hydrocarbon fuels such as naphtha or kerosene is also suggested.
curiousNmo
What will happen? If I took a very small amount of pure acetone, put it in a bowl and went outside to set it on fire(safety first). I am curious because I am a hiker and I am working on a lightweight alcohol stove. I don't have any alcohol that seems to work right now but I do have acetone and I was wondering if it could be used as an alternative. I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but it seems to me that since they are both flammable liquids and denatured alcohol has acetone in it it might be ok to try.

Also is it possible for me to mix say, 50% alcohol(rubbing) and X quantity of acetone in an attempt to get the fuel to burn better?

Any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It might work but here are some things to think about:

1. Vapor pressure of acetone at room temperature is roughly 4 to 5 times that for ethanol and isopropanol respectively. That means that it will probably light easier when it is cold but it will generate pressure when it warms up much more than either of the alcohols.

2. Boiling point of acetone is about 20 to 25 degrees C lower than ethanol or IPA. This means that the reservoir might have to be better shielded from the heat of the flame or the cooking utensil. Might not be so bad during cold, windy weather.

3. Acetone is a great solvent for a lot of plastics and causes some rubber compounds to swell considerably. Make sure that all that you own which might come in contact with acetone is compatible with it, especially cell phone, flashlight lenses, compass plastic, aluminized emergency blanket and anything made of styrene (like a GPS case). Acetone will wreck Gore-Tex. Map ink would probably be much more soluble in acetone than ethanol.

From my experience acetone is way more flammable than alcohol. Its the kind of stuff that keeps lighting even after you stomp on it.

It's also important here to consider the flash point of acetone, my guess is that it would be very impractical as a fuel alternative, it wouldn't take the form of a steady fuel source that you're seeking.

Is there a reason why you're wanting to use alcohol or acetone over just hydrocarbon chain fuels? Naphtha (aka white gas or Coleman fuel) makes a good portable stove fuel.
If it's too volatile, why not try some kerosene? Mix naphtha and kero if you need something in between.

What is acetone and is it flammable?

Acetone is a colorless liquid chemical compound that is commonly used as a solvent. It is highly flammable, with a flash point of -18°C, meaning it can easily ignite at room temperature.

Can you set fire to acetone?

Yes, acetone can be set on fire with a flame or spark, as it is highly flammable. However, proper precautions should be taken when handling and using acetone to prevent accidents.

How do you safely set fire to acetone?

To safely set fire to acetone, it is recommended to use a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, with proper ventilation. The acetone should be placed in a fire-safe container and ignited with a spark or flame from a safe distance.

What happens when acetone is set on fire?

When acetone is set on fire, it undergoes a process called combustion, which produces heat, light, and carbon dioxide. The flame may appear blue or clear, and the combustion reaction will continue until the acetone is completely burned.

Is it dangerous to set fire to acetone?

Yes, setting fire to acetone can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is highly flammable and can cause burns or other injuries if mishandled. It is important to follow safety guidelines and have proper fire safety equipment when working with acetone and fire.