More stars in the Milky Way or galaxies in the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of galaxies in the observable universe and stars in the Milky Way. Estimates suggest there are as many galaxies in the observable universe as there are stars in the Milky Way. However, with advancements in technology, it is believed that we will be able to observe more galaxies in the future, making it difficult to determine which has a larger number currently.

Are there more stars in the Milky Way or galaxies in the universe?

• More stars in the Milky Way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More galaxies in the observable universe

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Too close to tell

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Loren Booda
Do you think there are more stars in our Milky Way galaxy, or galaxies in the observable universe?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not at all. Estimates suggest that there as many galaxies in the observable universe as there are stars in the Milky Way.

Edit: I guess I misread the question. I thought it was "are there more stars in the MW than galaxies in the universe."

Yes, it's too close to tell. I agree with Dave.

Last edited:
I don't know that this really needs to be a poll - we have good evidence for the number of observable galaxies: the Hubble UDF. By extrapolation, if we repeated the HUDF and covered the entire sky, we'd see about 150 billion galaxies. It is believed that the Milky Way contains sonewhere in the neighborhood 200 to 400 billion stars.

So we're not there yet, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we can peek just a little deeper and get a whole lot more.

I think that the two being within the same order of magnitude would constitute 'too close to tell'.

More galaxies in the observable universe. Why?

As time progresses, we will be able to see more light from the furthest galaxies, numbering in the billions, and steadily increasing, compared to the number of stars in the Milky Way, which are decreasing.

While Hubble did do an excellent job, I still think there are more galaxies in the observable universe than stars in our galaxy. There will be greater telescopes in the future, which will look even deeper into the cosmos.

What is the estimated number of stars in the Milky Way?

The estimated number of stars in the Milky Way is between 100 and 400 billion.

How many galaxies are estimated to exist in the observable universe?

The estimated number of galaxies in the observable universe is around 2 trillion.

What is the difference between a star and a galaxy?

A star is a luminous sphere of plasma held together by its own gravity, while a galaxy is a large system of stars, dust, and gas held together by gravity.

Is it possible for there to be more stars in the Milky Way than galaxies in the universe?

No, because a galaxy is made up of a collection of stars, so the number of stars in the Milky Way cannot be greater than the number of galaxies in the universe.

How do scientists estimate the number of stars and galaxies in the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods, including observations from telescopes and mathematical models, to estimate the number of stars and galaxies in the universe. These estimates are constantly being refined as new data is collected.