Hi what formula do i use to find for my question

In summary: Uh, you're using one right now to solve this question. I don't know what your curriculum is like, but this stuff is usually one of the first things you learn. What else are you going to be learning in this class?ImsoFly, it really appears to me that you are desperately trying to avoid actually learning anything. It seems as though you just want to memorize a huge list of formulas, and then just pick the right one for each problem.
ImsoFly

Homework Statement

in a final burst of energy near the end of a bike race, Julia accelerates at 0.32 m/s^2 north for 15 s, attaining a final speed of 18.6 m/s south. what was Julia's initial velocity and how far did she travel while accelerating?

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case I think i have to find the V1...but I am not sure what the formula I'd use! Any help is appreciated:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want the equation for acceleration. You've seen it here quite a few times now. Can you try and write it out?

What is the most basic formula you know relating the initial and final velocities, the time interval, and acceleration?

hage567 said:
You want the equation for acceleration. You've seen it here quite a few times now. Can you try and write it out?

well I am saying i need to find v1...i already kno the acceleration formula...its a=delta v/delta t...:uhh:

daniel_i_l said:
What is the most basic formula you know relating the initial and final velocities, the time interval, and acceleration?
Hmm... is it a=delta v/delta t?:confused:

ImsoFly said:
Hmm... is it a=delta v/delta t?:confused:

Yes. So now how do you get v1 out of it? What's delta v mean?

hage567 said:
Yes. So now how do you get v1 out of it? What's delta v mean?

dleta v means change in velocity:rofl:

Yes, it does. So what exactly are you having trouble understanding? Why don't you try to find an actual answer to this problem then?

hage567 said:
Yes, it does. So what exactly are you having trouble understanding? Why don't you try to find an actual answer to this problem then?

how am i going to get the initial velocity? with a=delta v/delta t??

You just said that delta v is the change in velocity! So, what does that mean? How would you state that in terms of two velocities?

hage567 said:
You just said that delta v is the change in velocity! So, what does that mean? How would you state that in terms of two velocities?

i kno v2-v1... but i need to find the initial velocity..mean v1 right?? so how do find v1!

Rearrange the equation to isolate v1 on one side, and put the numbers into get a value. Are you having trouble with the algebra?

hage567 said:
Rearrange the equation to isolate v1 on one side, and put the numbers into get a value. Are you having trouble with the algebra?

yes i am i little bit.. :cry:

So you have [tex] a = \frac{v_2 - v_1}{\Delta t} [/tex]

You want to get the top part (v2-v1) by itself. How would you do that? What would you do get rid of delta t on the right hand side?

hage567 said:
So you have [tex] a = \frac{v_2 - v_1}{\Delta t} [/tex]

You want to get the top part (v2-v1) by itself. How would you do that? What would you do get rid of delta t on the right hand side?

do u know if there's a site that tells you all the formulas like that so i can memorize them?

You cannot rely on memorizing all the different forms of these equations, it won't work. You must learn to do the algebra.

There might be some examples for you to study here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Do you not have a textbook with examples on this kind of thing?

huh wat is that?:confused: :confused: :confused:

That website? It's a place to help learn this stuff. It's unlikely you are going to find a website with every equation you want, the way you want it. If you don't like that one, then find another one.

I'm trying to help you with your specific problem, and you have not tried to answer my last question about finding v1. I will help you solve this problem, but you must work with me here.

hage567 said:
That website? It's a place to help learn this stuff. It's unlikely you are going to find a website with every equation you want, the way you want it. If you don't like that one, then find another one.

I'm trying to help you with your specific problem, and you have not tried to answer my last question about finding v1. I will help you solve this problem, but you must work with me here.

do i use Kinematic Equations in grade 10 physics?

Uh, you're using one right now to solve this question. I don't know what your curriculum is like, but this stuff is usually one of the first things you learn. What else are you going to be learning in this class?

ImsoFly, it really appears to me that you are desperately trying to avoid actually learning anything. It seems as though you just want to memorize a huge list of formulas, and then just pick the right one for each problem.

This might get you through your first year of physics education, but it will completely prevent you from ever understanding (or succeeding in) any later classes.

Besides, you're looking at this the wrong way. You have two options:

(1) Memorize a huge list of formulas, which will take you forever and will likely result in many errors.

(2) Memorize a very small list of relationships, and use algebra to rearrange those relationships in any way you need them, in a matter of seconds.

Hint: Option (1) won't get you anywhere. Quit resisting option (2).

- Warren

Well said, chroot.

ImsoFly, if you are struggling with the algebra, perhaps some extra tutoring from your teacher would be beneficial. Once you have the basics down (it won't take long), you will be all set. It just takes lots of practice and some patience.

What is the formula to find the answer to my question?

The formula you use will depend on the specific question you are trying to answer. Scientific formulas can range from simple equations to complex mathematical models. It is important to carefully read and understand your question in order to determine the appropriate formula to use.

How do I know which formula to use?

The best way to determine which formula to use is to carefully read and analyze your question. Look for key variables or relationships that may point to a specific formula. You can also consult textbooks, scientific literature, or seek guidance from a mentor or colleague.

What if I can't find a formula for my question?

In some cases, there may not be a specific formula that directly applies to your question. In these situations, you may need to combine multiple formulas or create your own model to find a solution. It is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying principles and concepts in order to create an effective formula.

Do I need to use a calculator to find the answer?

It depends on the complexity of the formula and the values of the variables involved. For simpler equations, you may be able to solve by hand. However, for more complex formulas or large datasets, a calculator or computer program may be necessary to find the answer.

Why is it important to use the correct formula?

Using the correct formula is crucial in obtaining accurate and reliable results. Using the wrong formula can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially compromise the validity of your research. It is important to carefully double check your work and ensure that you are using the appropriate formula for your question.