Groups, order G = 60, G simple

• Thread starter rourky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a group of order 60, which is simple, is isomorphic to A5. The participants also mention using Sylow's Theorems and the concept of transitive subgroup and group action to prove this. They also discuss the difficulty of understanding these concepts and the need for further knowledge about groups before attempting the proof.
rourky
1. G a Group of order 60, G simple, prove G isomorphic to A5

2. Familiar with Sylow's Theorems, theorems leading up to Sylow.

3. We make the assumption that G is not isomorphic to A5
Then "given G cannot have a subgroup of index 2, 3, 4, 5," I can
get the result.
My problem is I don't know why the quoted statement is true.
Clear for 2 alright, given G simple, but 3, 4, 5?
Is this a fairly obvious result (if so, a hint please), or is it difficult to
prove and should i move on until I know more about groups?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of them are clear: if there is a subgroup of index d, then there is a homomorphism to S_d, the symmetric group on d elements - i.e. the (transitive, i.e. there is only one orbit) group action on the cosets. So for d=2,3,4, the orders of S_d are 2,6,24, so it is not injective, hence has a kernel, which would be normal. This only leaves the index 5 case. Again, this must be injective, so it is up to you to figure out what the (transitive) subgroups of order 60 are in S_5. There of course might be a better way to do the question than this.

Thanks Matt,

A little "over my head". Not your fault though, just haven't heard of the terms "transitive subgroup" and "transitive group action". Unfamiliar with opening result as well, actually thought it was Cayley's theorem at first. Really appreciate the help, now happy in the knowledge that I wasn't overlooking some result from my course. Will leave topic until I know more about groups.

Thanks again, Ciaran

Erm. But the proof for 2,3,4 is elementary - it just needs you to know what a group homomorphism is. I'm sure you're happy with groupt actions on sets.And as I said, there is no reason why what I wrote for d=5, or any other case, is the only way to do it. If your course set this question, you should be able to do it.

(Transitivity is a red herring, I just put it in there for completeness.)

1. What is the definition of a simple group?

A simple group is a type of group in abstract algebra that does not contain any normal subgroups (subgroups that are invariant under conjugation). In other words, a simple group cannot be broken down into smaller groups.

2. How many elements are in a group of order G = 60?

A group of order 60 can have a maximum of 60 elements. However, the actual number of elements in a group of order 60 can be less than 60, depending on the structure of the group.

3. What properties do all simple groups have?

All simple groups have the properties of being non-abelian (meaning the group operation is not commutative) and non-solvable (meaning the group cannot be constructed using a sequence of simpler groups).

4. Can a group of order G = 60 be abelian?

No, a group of order 60 cannot be abelian because all abelian groups are solvable and simple groups are not solvable.

5. What is the significance of simple groups in mathematics?

Simple groups play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, algebraic topology, and number theory. They also have applications in physics and cryptography. Understanding the structure and properties of simple groups is a major area of research in mathematics.