Troubleshooting PC: Is It the Motherboard?

• Thread starter ramollari
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is experiencing a serious issue with their PC where the CPU fan starts and then suddenly stops, with no beep heard and the power LED remaining on. They have ruled out the power supply and are wondering if it could be a problem with the ASUS motherboard. Others have also reported similar issues with ASUS motherboards and it is suggested to get a replacement. The individual is hesitant to replace the motherboard and may seek the advice of authorized service personnel. It is possible that something on the motherboard is causing damage to other components, resulting in various problems.
ramollari
Hi, after tens of successful repairs, I am having a very serious problem with my PC. When I turn it on, nothing happens, except that the cpu fan start rotation and suddenly stops and that the power led on front stays on. No beep at all is heard. The power supply is ruled out because I tried it on another computer. Do you think it might be the motherboard? It is ASUS. Thanx.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I read that post carefully, but the symptoms were slightly different. Besides, the guy was sure it was a motherboard problem. I just want to be sure, because one has to think twice before replacing the motherboard.

You should give the board to authorized service personnel, then they can decide if they need to replace it or not. Something is probably frying on that board and it's taking out some of the components, leading to different problems.

1. What are the signs that my motherboard is failing?

Some common signs of a failing motherboard include frequent crashes or freezes, blue screen of death errors, random restarts, failure to boot up, and unusual noises coming from the computer.

2. How can I determine if the motherboard is the issue?

One way to determine if the motherboard is the issue is to try booting up the computer with only the essential components attached (CPU, RAM, and power supply). If it still does not boot up, it is likely a problem with the motherboard.

3. Can a faulty motherboard be repaired?

In some cases, a faulty motherboard can be repaired by replacing the damaged components. However, this can be a complex and expensive process, and it may be more cost-effective to simply replace the motherboard.

4. How long do motherboards typically last?

The lifespan of a motherboard can vary, but they typically last around 3-5 years. However, this can be affected by factors such as usage, quality of components, and maintenance.

5. What can cause a motherboard to fail?

Some common causes of motherboard failure include power surges, overheating, physical damage, and manufacturing defects. It is important to properly maintain and handle your computer to prevent these issues.