Trig integrating with absolute values:

In summary, the integral \int_0 ^\pi \sqrt{1-\sin^2 x} dx can be split into two intervals, (0, pi/2) and (pi/2, pi), with the absolute value of the negative value from the second interval. This then gives the solution of 2.
Zeth

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_0 ^\pi \sqrt{1-\sin^2 x} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]1 - \sin^2 x = \cos^2 x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to treat this since cos changes sign half way across the integral. I know the answer should be 2 but I keep getting 0 every which way I try.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0 ^\pi \sqrt{1-\sin^2 x} dx= \int_0 ^\pi |{\cos (x)}| dx[/tex]

So you find where the [tex] 0= \cos (x) [/tex] on the interval [tex] (0,\pi) [/tex] and then integrate separately.

i.e, [tex]\int_0 ^\pi |{\cos (x)}| dx = \int_0 ^{\frac{\pi}{2} }\cos (x) dx - \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi \cos (x) dx [/tex]

Last edited:
You can split the integral over the two intervals, can't you?

Zeth said:
I know the answer should be 2 but I keep getting 0 every which way I try.

Are you sure :)? Certainly the area is 2, but the integral gives you the Signed area. As neutrino said, splitting the integral into 2 gives the area :), as long as you take the absolute value of the negative value you will get from the integral between pi/2 and pi.

1. How do you integrate an absolute value function in trigonometry?

To integrate an absolute value function in trigonometry, we use the properties of trigonometric identities to rewrite the function in terms of sine and cosine. Then, we can use the substitution method to find the antiderivative of the function.

2. What is the purpose of using absolute values in trigonometric integration?

Absolute values in trigonometric integration are used to handle cases where the function has both positive and negative values. It allows us to find the area under the curve without taking into account the sign of the function.

3. Can we use the fundamental theorem of calculus to integrate absolute value functions in trigonometry?

Yes, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to integrate absolute value functions in trigonometry. This theorem states that the definite integral of a function is equal to the difference between its antiderivative evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration.

4. When do we need to use the absolute value function in trigonometric integration?

We need to use the absolute value function in trigonometric integration when the function has a variable coefficient or when the limits of integration are not given as positive values. This ensures that the result of the integration is always positive.

5. Can we integrate absolute value functions in trigonometry using other methods?

Yes, besides the substitution method, we can also use the integration by parts method or the partial fractions method to integrate absolute value functions in trigonometry. However, these methods may not always be as straightforward as using the substitution method.