Anyone ever use a Sony PRS-500 Reader?

• Thread starter cogito²
  • Start date
In summary: I've been reading a lot of PDFs on my phone lately and I'm not really a fan of having to hold it up to my face to see the text, so that's another thing that's appealing to me.The reader is supposed to be easier on the eyes because it doesn't have a conventional LCD screen. The reader is also supposed to be light on batteries.
cogito²
I'm considering getting one, since more and more of the papers I need to read are PDFs and it's just easier not to have to constantly print them out. What I wonder is:

1. How do they look (i.e. are they easy on the eyes)?
  2. They look a little small in the promo pictures...are the displays small for normal reading?
  3. Are they cumbersome?
  4. Are they compatible with all PDFs? An example PDF that I might read can be downloaded here (that's a math paper). What I'm wondering is if all the embedded stuff would screw crap up with the reader.

There are obviously better sources for these questions, but I was just wondering if and TWers might have any experience with this thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd never heard of it before, so I looked it up on wiki and I'd say it looks pretty sweet if it worked well. I've never had any "easy on the eyes" problem (I'm assuming you're talking about "easy on the eyes" like that small legal print, not Salma Hayek "easy on the eyes") on my computer, and I've read entire books of computer screens and am completely oblivious to what eye strain feels like.

Yeah that's not really my largest worry...I can always go look at them (since they're supposedly available at bookstores). What I'm more worried about is question 4...whether or not I'll be able to read all the PDFs I want.

cogito² said:
Yeah that's not really my largest worry...I can always go look at them (since they're supposedly available at bookstores). What I'm more worried about is question 4...whether or not I'll be able to read all the PDFs I want.

why don't you just get a pocket pc a small form factor pc?

Well one of the things that interests me about the reader is that it doesn't have a conventional lcd screen which is supposedly what makes it so easy on the eyes (and light on batteries).

What is a Sony PRS-500 Reader?

The Sony PRS-500 Reader is an electronic book reader that was released in 2006. It uses E Ink technology to display text and images on a screen that mimics the appearance of ink on paper.

How does a Sony PRS-500 Reader work?

The Sony PRS-500 Reader works by using electronic ink capsules that are filled with tiny particles that respond to electrical charges. When a charge is applied, the particles move to form images and text on the screen. This results in a low-power, paper-like display.

What file formats does a Sony PRS-500 Reader support?

The Sony PRS-500 Reader supports several file formats, including EPUB, PDF, Microsoft Word, and plain text. It also has the ability to display images in JPEG, GIF, and PNG formats.

Can a Sony PRS-500 Reader connect to the internet?

No, the Sony PRS-500 Reader does not have internet connectivity. It is designed solely for reading electronic books and does not have any internet browsing capabilities.

Are there any limitations to using a Sony PRS-500 Reader?

One limitation of the Sony PRS-500 Reader is that it does not have a built-in light, so it cannot be used in low-light or dark environments. Additionally, it does not have the ability to play audio files or support color images.