Differential equation, quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution for u(r) in the region r>R as r approaches infinity. The solution is found to be psi(r)=(A/r)e^-alpha*r, and the process involves solving for the differential equation in u(r) and then dividing by r to get the solution for psi(r).
_Andreas

Homework Statement

Solve for u(r) in the region r>R (i.e r goes towards infinity). Show that psi(r)=(A/r)e^-alpha*r

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\(d^2u(r)}{dr^2}=\alpha^2u(r)[/tex]

[tex]\(u(r)=\psi(r)*r[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\(d^2u(r)}{dr^2}=\alpha^2u(r)\Longleftrightarrow\frac{\(d^2\psi(r)*r}{dr^2}-\alpha^2\psi(r)*r=0\Longleftrightarrow\frac{\(d^2\psi(r)}{dr^2}+\frac{\(2}{r}\psi(r)-\alpha^2\psi(r)=0\Longrightarrow\mbox{characteristical equation}\Longrightarrow[/tex]

(z^2) + (2/r)z - alpha^2 = 0

which has the roots z = (-1/r) +/- ((1/r^2) + alpha^2 )^(1/2)

This doesn't seem correct. What have I done wrong? (BTW: sorry for not using LATEX everywhere; I didn't have enough time)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be simpler to just solve for the DE in u(r) first?

Sides, characteristic equations cannot be used for ODE-s z with variable coefficients.

Gokul43201 said:
Wouldn't it be simpler to just solve for the DE in u(r) first?

Yes, but I cannot see how to get the 1/r term. I only seem to get Ae^-alpha*r (after the boundary condition has been imposed).

dextercioby said:
Sides, characteristic equations cannot be used for ODE-s z with variable coefficients.

This was actually something I was thinking of. Makes sense.

_Andreas said:
I only seem to get Ae^-alpha*r (after the boundary condition has been imposed).
Is this a solution for u(r) or psi(r)?

Gokul43201 said:
Is this a solution for u(r) or psi(r)?

The former I think. Now I didn't substitute psi(r)*r for u(r) as I did in the OP.

Last edited:
_Andreas said:
Yes, but I cannot see how to get the 1/r term. I only seem to get Ae^-alpha*r (after the boundary condition has been imposed).

That's right. So you found the solution for u(r) with the approprioate boundary conditions. To get psi, just divide u(r) by r! [itex] \psi(r) = \frac{u(r)}{r} [/itex] and you are done.

nrqed said:
That's right. So you found the solution for u(r) with the approprioate boundary conditions. To get psi, just divide u(r) by r! [itex] \psi(r) = \frac{u(r)}{r} [/itex] and you are done.

It's that simple?! I thought I had to somehow include the r term in the derivation (d^2)/dr^2 :blushing: Well, thanks then!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change over time or space. In physics, differential equations are commonly used to describe the behavior of physical systems.

2. How is quantum physics related to differential equations?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which use differential equations to describe the behavior of particles at this scale. Differential equations are used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles and their interactions with each other.

3. What role do differential equations play in quantum mechanics?

Differential equations play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as they are used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. The Schrödinger equation, which is a type of differential equation, is central to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a certain time.

4. Are differential equations difficult to solve in quantum physics?

Solving differential equations in quantum physics can be challenging, as they often involve complex mathematical operations and require specialized techniques. However, with the use of modern computer software and numerical methods, many complex differential equations can be solved more efficiently.

5. Can differential equations be used to make predictions in quantum physics?

Yes, differential equations are used to make predictions in quantum physics. By solving these equations, physicists can determine the behavior of particles and make predictions about their interactions and properties. These predictions have been confirmed through experimental evidence, making differential equations a valuable tool in understanding the quantum world.